Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perris , minnows galore!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d1LedHed View Post
    cm - phone was off. Big slay on the BGs until the wind picked up. Got one that was almost 11". BG bite was off the hook yesterday - lot of 10" fish. Getting them in the marina too. Need to do the nite bite for the Crappie - you know they are there... Like to do it this week but mite be going to Havasu.
    Side note - got a juvenile spotty in the marina the other day.
    Dock fishing is a different story; should of brought
    The boat.....nice job sticking them gills!!...........

Cm

The post with the minnow in someone's hand matches Silversides for sure. The picture is dead on and the description of the habitat is correct.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_silverside

Delta smelt - way different
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sh_in_hand.jpg

You would think if they were Delta smelt they would close down Perris and stop the draining of the lake for dam restoration. After all, that is why they won't send water down the CA aqueduct.
    Then we would really be screwed no dam fixing and no fishing. J/K of course.

any bait that is indigenious to the lake is legal to use.

Seal is correct, CA Regs specify only threadfin shad may be used and must be from the lake where taken by dip net. Shiners are not legal in Riverside County. The fish pictured are inland silversides, (Menidia beryllina). There is no record of delta smelt in SoCal, though confirmed Japanese pond smelt, aka wakasagi from DVL and Perris. They look very similar to delta smelt with slight/subtle differences to gill raker counts, pyloric caeca, anal fin rays.

good clarification Kwin... okay so scratch the Delta smelt comment and insert the Japanese pond smelt... my bad... I knew they were a smelt though..haha...
    Ive just always called them Delta smelt though because I didn't know the difference between it and the pond smelt.... good stuff!!

Pete

You would think with all this bait at the surface, the schoolie stripers would be up and boiling....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You would think with all this bait at the surface, the schoolie stripers would be up and boiling....
    I believe stripers tend to group boil more on shad than silversides. I think it's the behavior of shad and where the bait is located (open water) that causes the stripers to boil. With silversides you are more looking at a "slurp" condition than an actual eruption type boil.

Lot of boils today! Pretty sure they were stripers.... Right outside of the marina.

Lot of boils today! Pretty sure they were stripers.... Right outside of the marina.

What time of the day was this and Thanks for the Info

I know Perris has a few 30lb stripers, but boils I had never seen mentioned, is Perris becoming like the other duct lakes?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast