Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Harbor- seen any bonita around ?

Default King Harbor- seen any bonita around ?

Has anyone seen the bonita around in King Harbor lately (redondo beach) ??

I'll most likely be hitting it sunday for the usual Halibut & sandies, just wondering if anyone has been spotting/nailing the boneheads...I tried calling the boat rentals there but they don't answer and the sportfishing guys report on the pier was made up...I could tell
    Thanks,
    Gary

Haven't heard of any. Water's still cold for them boneheads.

A made up sportsfishing report ? ... never ! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    Haven't heard of any. Water's still cold for them boneheads.
    Yeah I realize the waters still relatively cold for them but in years past, I used to get the bonita all year long in the harbor there since the warm water from the Edison plant flows directly out of that Bubble hole, it's been quite some time since I've seen them there year round but it does happen.
    Thank for the heads up though, all info is appreciated, I used to fish there regularly, I'm going to get back on that area !

Quote Originally Posted by Cangler View Post
    A made up sportsfishing report ? ... never ! ;)
    Yeah... I could tell that this dude at the sportfishing landings report was was full of $%#@ I pretty much know whats going on without asking...he even mentioned getting sheephead in the harbor...I almost started laughing then...he went on to name just about any possible species that certainly can be caught in the harbor but not this time of season.....

Again thanks for any info from anyone whos been over there lately....normally I talk to the guys at the Rocky Point skiffyard, I usually get a solid answer from them but they don't answer now..

bathtub fishing anyone?J/K gary...i wanna try this lets go one day...

Default Depends on Water Temps

I generally fish King Harbor a few times a year. Normally, you won't see bonita & cuda there until Summer (June - Sept. & Oct ), unless the power plant is pumping hot water. Even then, it's not a sure thing. Unfortunately, in the Summer, you have to be careful of red tide, which has invaded the harbor a number of times over the past few Summers. Red tide will kill the bite. Also, live bait is alway an "iffy" proposition. However, I have seen some very nice halibut come out of the habor. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    ...he even mentioned getting sheephead in the harbor...
    There was a rumor last month about a 20+# sheephead that was caught inside the harbor.
    I know the landing employees had a "pet" sheephead that they kept feeding.
    Not sure if this is the same fish that was caught though.

a couple weeks ago i trolled x raps and luckycraft's for a half hour before leaving dana and we got a 23 and 26 inch barricuda and 15 inch jack smelt. I know a little off topic thought it might help

Hi I went like a month ago. There was only one other skiff out. Most likely Rocky point won't be open until somebody starts catching something in the harbor and word of mouth makes everyone come a running. There was nothing there. Kings Harbor used to be good for alot of fish hali, bonito, bass, mack, but it has dried up the last few years. If you want Bonito try Long beach harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by ymin72 View Post
    There was a rumor last month about a 20+# sheephead that was caught inside the harbor.
    I know the landing employees had a "pet" sheephead that they kept feeding.
    Not sure if this is the same fish that was caught though.
    I believe thats the one. Derrick was mentioning that someone caught it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast