Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beating the heat at 5th street

Default Beating the heat at 5th street

My son Tony and I wanted to fish but didn't want to cook in the heat, so we decided to try some surf fishing...he wanted to try locally instead of heading up north like we have before...picked him up in Simi at o'dark and got to the Mugu area at dawn...no bites and constant hangups there, so we jumped over to Oxnard to try for perch...no shortage of people fishing there, but we fit in between some fishing folks and tried gulp worms, sandcrabs, lucky crafts, and flukes for not one bite. I was getting that hopeless skunk feeling...decided to do something stupid and tie on a kastmaster...more fun to cast and might get a jacksmelt or something...on cast #15 I got slammed and was into a drag-ripping fight...after a fun tug-o-war, I slid this beast up on the beach

Almost immediately after that, Tony got a little one on the gulp worm...and that was our morning...no other hookups, a couple possible nibbles. Next time might be worth the longer drive for better numbers of fish, but I have no complaints about the quality, and it was nice wading in shorts and being cool for a while, before the drive back to the San Fernando Inferno.

Good Job beating the skunk. I gave up on 5th years ago as soon as those bucket toting guys blew the place up...LOL
    I almost headed up to VC today just to beat the heat but decided to stay in and relax instead.
    Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Good Job beating the skunk. I gave up on 5th years ago as soon as those bucket toting guys blew the place up...LOL
    I almost headed up to VC today just to beat the heat but decided to stay in and relax instead.
    Thanks for the report!
    Thanks bones...no shame in staying indoors in this blast furnace...I was back home by 11 and it was already 107 F! I think the equation for 5th street and other places like it is... close to lots of people + easy free parking and walking to beach + nice sand beach with no rocks to hang up on = not many fish left

Woooo good report! Im happy that the perch are slowly returning! I've been waiting all summer for the perch to get back :)

Nice going on a quality skunkbuster and getting a reprieve from the heat. Pretty weird driving back from Vegas today and the thermometer just wasn't going down! Hopefully we'll get a little cooler soon and some more quality bites to follow!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost117 View Post
    Woooo good report! Im happy that the perch are slowly returning! I've been waiting all summer for the perch to get back :)
    Thanks Ghost117...I don't surf fish often enough to know, but were perch tough to find lately? Where do they go?

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Nice going on a quality skunkbuster and getting a reprieve from the heat. Pretty weird driving back from Vegas today and the thermometer just wasn't going down! Hopefully we'll get a little cooler soon and some more quality bites to follow!

Don
    Thanks Don...it's been unreal...kudos to you for braving the desert...until it gets down below 100 F inland, I'll be doing more surf/ocean fishing and less striper chasing...

Hi ya Stumpknocker,

Diversification of AO's and the ability to throw everything at them except for the kitchen sink ..... heck .... I'll bet if your kitchen would have had hooks ... that you would have thrown it at them too!

What you experienced in your shared session ... we are all experiencing the same everywhere in the south-land.

With your perseverance and determination .... you were able to put the SKUNK back on the shelf for another day!

Thank you for sharing your session with all of us!

We'll see you at HG-6!

SP Dan .....<"))>< ....."The Danimal!"
    Last edited by SP Dan; 09-15-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya Stumpknocker,

Diversification of AO's and the ability to throw everything at them except for the kitchen sink ..... heck .... I'll bet if your kitchen would have had hooks ... that you would have thrown it at them too!

What you experienced in your shared session ... we are all experiencing the same everywhere in the south-land.

With your perseverance and determination .... you were able to put the SKUNK back on the shelf for another day!

Thank you for sharing your session with all of us!

We'll see you at HG-6!

SP Dan .....<"))>< ....."The Danimal!"
    Thanks Danimal...and through the magic of the Internet, here it is!

Yep, I'd use it if I thought it would work...sometimes I dig out lures that I bought 30 years ago and use them, thinking that the fish haven't seen it in a few decades...they often don't work, but sometimes they do, and the kastmaster is timeless, and good for many species...
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 09-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Lol i was in the desert during the height of the heatwave.. temp hit 108!

Nice perch! That's a slab!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast