Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Yellow area on flesh near gill in rainbow trout

Default Yellow area on flesh near gill in rainbow trout

Hello everyone!

Caught some fish yesterday at rock creek lake and noticed a yellowish circle/spot on the flesh behind the right gill on some of our fish. Anyone know what it could be? It appeared on 9 of our 13 fish that we kept. The fish were put on ice after we caught them but we didn't clean them until ~10hrs later.

I'll try uploading a pic later. Unfortunately I'm on my phone and it says that the image size exceeds the allowed limit...

Tough to tell, I am sure that someone will assist you once the pics are posted.

Was the spot there when they were originally caught, or did it show up after they sat for a while?

We aren't sure if it was there or not before because they're on the inside of the fish. We only found it after we cleaned our fish. But we think it's related to how long it takes before we cleaned them as we found similar spots in fish that we caught at Convict but they were less noticeable. I'll be able to upload pics tomorrow.

Update.. Here's the image of the fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	44675

The gall bladder sometimes breaks even when you are cleaning the fish very carefully and close to the skin. If the gall bladder is broken, the greenish yellow biliary fluid pours immediately out into the inside of the fish and starts to absorb into the meat. The meat becomes bitter, simply cut the yellow inked portion off.