Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: In need of a full time job

Default In need of a full time job

So as of last friday i quit my job of 3 years making skateboards we made dog town,birdhouse,powell,jay adams company 100% skateboarder .So I was getting paid a flat rate of 300$ a week with sometimes over 55 hours weekly .My boss the owner is a penny pincher and likes all the money to himself ..Do not get me wrong I loved working there because I am a skater and have been skating since I was 5 years old..But it does not pay the bills..I am a single dad with two beautiful girls oldest is 6 and youngest is 1 1/2 ..I need to provide for them and in a better way than 300$ a week.The main reason I am posting this is because 2 weeks ago we found out my mother has a rare leukemia that is in the bone and it is terminal she is only 58 and is the greatest woman in my life..She cannot work anymore and has been in the hospital without being able to come home for over 2 weeks..She cannot pay her bills and I am trying to find a decent job to help her out..If anyone knows of places hiring please message me I am not asking for hand outs I just want to work to help out my family. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Go down to a city hall and ask for the job listing book. They used to have a large phone book size job listing book on the counter that showed all the LA area cities jobs posted. Try to get in a city or county job for the benifits. Good pay too. Good luck.
    DR

What skills do you have? PM me.

I work in a union grocery warehouse lots of hours pay isnt too bad. We are always hiring. If your interested pm me for details.

Get your resume up to shape, and use the Internet to focus on certain job websites to help with your search. I know there are certain sites online that manage certain types of skill sets (dice.com, for example).

Also, don't shy away from pounding pavements and handing out your resume directly to employers. Sometimes, in this day of age especially, employers are looking for someone who will make an effort to get employed.

Aside from that, MAKE SURE YOUR RESUME IS UP TO DATE AND DOES NOT CONTAIN MISSPELLINGS.

As a person who has to analyze resumes, the first ones that are thrown into the 'circular file,' are the ones that are more than 1 page, and have misspellings. Start with that. 90% of the resumes I get are placed in the 'circular file,' simply because of those mistakes. If you don't, you're in the 10% of getting hired!

If you want to be an electrician check out LAETT.com its an apprenticeship that will pay off for you in the long run. That is how i got into the IBEW and learned a trade. But theres also alot of other training programs in our state you just have search the internet

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mom. Go down to a city hall and ask for the job listing book. They used to have a large phone book size job listing book on the counter that showed all the LA area cities jobs posted. Try to get in a city or county job for the benifits. Good pay too. Good luck.
    DR
    I agree with DR about that, I worked in that category for over 36 years a % of my pay check when in to the CalPers retirement and my employer matched it. I retired at age 59 and actually I had a little more of a monthly income then when I worked. Just now getting SS retirement I waited till 65 now I get even more. You seem to be a young man Zombie Bass and smart too, just go for it all the way and you will be just fine no matter what job you pick good luck.

Sorry about your mom and thanks for being a good parent. My advice to you is to build your resume with credentials and research jobs an careers. For example I am certified as a EMT and personal trainer . Worked as both and didn't make it a career but it was good to have on my resume not to mention decent money to make except for EMT. I also worked as a private investigator an that didn't cost anything you need to set your foot in the door. It took me 4 months to get certified for both so it is a small investment with good gains. I just got my undergrad when pursuing them both so time isn't a issue. If you need a reference let me know if you decide to pursue a personal trainer /EMT career. The EMT program cost 700 bucks and personal trainer 500.Good luck. You'll be making 30-40k as a trainer, the same as a private investigator, and $10/HR as a EMT. You can use me as a reference if you like and a employment reference for personal training or to make your resume look better. If you need me to tweak your resume let me know just pm me.

PS Nowadays most jobs are posted online. Craigslist, USAJOBS, Company website, Indeed.com. You might get some luck on CareerBuilder and monster.
    Last edited by Vinh; 09-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Hey ZBA, I read your post and I was wondering if you were still looking for a job. I tried to PM you but your inbox states full capacity. Sorry to hear about your mother, my father is suffering from stage 4 kidney cancer as well. It is a terrible heartache to see our parents in such a way but unfortunately, 'tis the cycle of life. In regards to occupation, what kind of job are you looking for? Do you have any managerial experience? What are you looking for in terms of compensation? I'm actually in the process of renegotiating my contract with my former employer. If everything works out, I do possess hiring powers so why don't you PM me a copy of your resume (proofread, no errors). No guarantees, but it's worth a shot. Looking forward to your message, good luck and take care.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

So I should have put I am heavily tattooed head to toe literally.I have been a tattoo artist for 10+ years in shops and out (freelance) but tattooing is very up and down this is why I am trying to find a normal job but it is very hard for me as seeing they are on my face( nothing offensive) hands and knuckles and neck. So I need a job that fits my appearance and is allowed.

Thanks again guys for the feed back.