Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salton Sea Tilapia action 5/21/16

Default Salton Sea Tilapia action 5/21/16

Got there(recreation area) at around 6am. Saw only a couple caught most of the morning as it was a little windy with some small white caps. First fish on at 7:25. Nothing for another hour. Moved to the Yacht Club from 9am to about 10:45. Went back to the recreation area as the wind was dying down. As I was pulling into the parking lot I noticed a multiple people with fish on. Immediately started catching fish at and this was around 11am. The wind was down and the temperature started to creep up and the bite gradually started to heat up. It was pretty wide open for a few moments. Due to time constraints and basically no activity for the first 5 hours, I had to pull out at around 2:45pm. This was during the a good bite too, so i'm not happy about that. We ended up with about 60 keepers. I'll probably be back there in June. Pic and video included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_i4dKukNiU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0068.jpg 
Views:	4179 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	48451  

That's a lot of Mojarra Fritas Bro.
    Nice work,
    Robert
    <><

Almost. I'm scared of the skin on these fish though. Just filleted them all.

couldn't pay me to eat fish out of there... Great catch though!

I haven't eaten any YET. I kept some fillets and they are in the freezer. All published data state that the fish are safe to eat(4oz every 2 weeks). I have seen not any data stating that they fish are unsafe to eat.

That's what's up! Nice stringer of Tilapia. You won't die from eating a little too much tilapia. And yes, a large majority of the chemicals and agricultural run off are in the skin of the fish.

Nice looks like i am going to make a trip out there soon!
    Quick Question are they safe to eat ? just hear a lot about salton sea

Paging Mr. DockRat, Mr. DockRat...

[QUOTE=Dores34;779674]I haven't eaten any YET. I kept some fillets and they are in the freezer. All published data state that the fish are safe to eat(4oz every 2 weeks). I have seen not any data stating that they fish are unsafe to eat.[/QUOTE

Just curious....do you know just how little an amount 4 oz is? And you have to wait another two weeks before you have another 4 oz? I think the data you saw that said ONLY 4 OZ every two weeks is a pretty clear indication that this stuff is no bueno.

Well 4oz used to be 1/4lb or 113grams. I was reading about a study done at San Diego State, which has 1/2 a serving size in a 2 week period. A serving size for the State advisory is 8oz. I was being conservative. The State still says 2 servings in a 2 week period(16oz) is OK and that is taking into account the selenium levels and PCBs. Silverwood by the way is 1 serving(8oz) for catfish, sunfish and black bass, while striped bass is a ZERO. Yet I see photos of DEAD striped bass on boat bows ALL THE TIME. Lake Nacimiento where I just caught spotted bass, white bass, crappie and blue gill, show 2 servings of bluegill and 1 serving each for the other species. I'm still researching this matter and I will most likely eat the fish soon, being that i've eaten fish out of lakes that are supposedly worse for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast