Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: crabing

Default crabing

Im moving down to Socal from Oregon and would like to know were to
    crab from a boat. I have a 18 foot raider and will handle the ocean just fine.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately there's not a lot of crab here in SoCal, it tends to get better the further north you go. Santa Barbara has decent crab but the quality and numbers go down south from there. What is popular here is using hoop nets for lobster fishing. We have great lobster fishing here, especially in the areas that are closed to commercial fishing. The season starts in October. Check out the DFW web site for regulations. Good Luck!

How can you find the areas closed to commercial lobster fishing? Is there a map somewhere? Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^x 2

Contrary to the moderators coment, there are lots of rock crabs in Southern California, especially in Santa Monica Bay. Perhaps he was refering to Dungeness crab. I crab a lot more than I Lobster hoop and I never put the nets away as I hooped for crab all summer long.
    The following areas are closed to commercial trapping for bugs...Santa Monica Bay, San Diego Bay, the front side of Catalina Island, the inner and outer harbor areas of San Pedro and Long Beach.
    These areas also contribute to over 50% of the recreational catch.
    PM me for more info or a hoopnet seminar schedule... it may help as your new to So. Cal. and hooping down here.
    Jim

Thanks for the info Saba!

Lobster season started this past Sunday.
    If you lay hoops for lobster, you will also get crab mixed in as well.
    Hopefully a report from me will be put up Friday...
    Take Care & Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><

Robert

Good Luck Bro..

I hoop out of Dana Point. From my experience if I want more crab I tend to hoop in deeper water reefs/rocks or deeper kelp. I don't crab as much as I'd like to, I always have to weed through a lot of sheep crab and they can be big and pain to deal with.