Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Opening Day weekend at Lake Wohlford

Default Opening Day weekend at Lake Wohlford

Before I get into the results I want to give it to people straight. (I don't want someone just to show up and think their going to replicate my results) You can if you go back and read my prior fish reports at Lake Wohlford. The first thing I want to say is, their not stocking it as good as last year for at least the first couple of weeks. Last year they started off with a 6,000 pound stocking and following that with a 3,000 pound stocking the next week. This year it was 4,000 pounds followed up with an 1,500 pound stocking. I think something happened beyond their control. They initial reported they were going to stock 6,000 pounds this year and then changed it to 4,000. So I think they wanted to do the 6,000 pounds but something happened that prevented that from happening. Also the size of the fish this year was a little disappointing! (smaller then I been use too there) But that may all change as the season progressives. (it did last year)

On to the fishing!

For this adventure I took my old Hunting buddy Dan. (he has never been there before) I did promise him a bunch of fish and I did deliver! Since this was the second day of trout season there I thought they might get a big crowd. So instead of doing our famous sleep in special of arriving at noon, we got there when they opened at 6:00 am. (I was afraid they would sell the boats out quickly) There wasn't that big of a crowd bump rushing the gates, so I take it that the fishing wasn't off the hook yesterday for everybody who just shod up. (that will happen if it did) So we got our boat and permits without much hassle. We took our time getting our stuff out of the car and into the boat. It was still dark and cold so we were in no rush. As usual a bunch of boats went out 300 feet and started fishing boat dock cove but they had a surprise this year. (a buoy line)

We headed down as usual to the East end buoys. (a few boats were already there around the air ratter) We started drifting with our Green/Rainbow power bait dipped in Bite On Garlic. (no wind so drifting was tough) We started banging away at them but they were not that big! On our 3rd fish we got a 3 pounder followed by a 2 plus pounder. (ok that made me feel a little better) Around us they were only catching a few fish, so the boats started leaving the area. I know by experience sometimes they are only in 1 zone in that area. (today that was true) We caught all our fish in line with the last air ratter and right around it. (nothing behind the buoys) So by 10:00 am we were all limited out on trout! I could tell by where the other boats were fishing it was kinda tough for a lot of people. The boats were fishing everywhere which means the fish were no where the people could find them! (a few people still found limits)

So it's 10 O'clock and we are all done on trout, but Lake Wohlford is not a pay lake where you catch your 5 fish and have to go home! We could fish for other species and we did! Me being the catfish person that I am, that's just what we did. We went to the other end of the lake by the West buoys and started fishing for catfish. We got bit on the first cast and landed a decent 2 pounder. Long story short, they were biting and we caught some decent catfish. We called it quits at noon (we left them biting) after landing 15 fish between the 2 of us. 10 trout and 5 catfish. Not too shabby for 5 hours of fishing for 2 people. lol

I'm probably going to give it a try next weekend with another couple of eager angler. (so look for my report!)

Disclaimer: I consider myself one of the better bait fishermen there, so you can't just show up and throw you anchor out anywhere and expect to catch fish. But if you know the lake or read my reports and follow the information, it's a darn good lake to fish!

p.s. My buddy just text me on Monday morning as I'm writing this. Full limits of trout by 8:30 am Monday having an 15 pound limit with 1 very large trout.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.