Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 2/18 report

Default 2/18 report

Since no one writes reports anymore I almost didn't but changed my mind in hopes this will encourage others to post.

My kid and his cousin were both bugging me Saturday night yhat they wanted to go fishing so made last minute plans to hit up SARL for the first time this year. Arrived T the lake at 5:00 Am and was surprised to find a pretty short line. Paid and ended up at Chris's pond right at 6 am. Had 6 poles between the 3 of us. 3 with mice tails all different colors and 3 with powerbait. Had a missed bite around 7 am. He was on for a couple seconds before he spit the hook.... He felt BIG!! After that we had absolutely NO action for the next 6 hours. Nobody around us caught anything all morning from what I could see. A little past 1 I caught my first fish of the day on a pink and white mice tail. A few minutes after that I caught my second on the same pole and mice tail. After that I switched out all the poles with pink and white mice tails and it was game on. Ended up with 8 total between the 3 of us. Seemed pink and white was all they wanted today. I did see one fisherman catch two trout near me. One was with a white mini jig and the other was with white power bait.

Started out with very short leaders but ended up making them about 12-18" when I started getting action. Water was very very stained in Chris's pond. Also all my bites came with very shallow casts. No more than 5-15 feet out.

I have an app called fishing LT that tells me fishing efficiencies by day and what times are best and for today it showed 14% efficiency but the interesting part was it showed the best time to fish was "major time" at 1:23 pm and that was exactly when we started catching all our fish. Also th "minor time" showed 7:10 this morning and that was also when I had my missed bite. Not sure if it's coincidence.

All in all I was super happy I didn't get the skunk today. The kids were all complaining by 10 am when no one was catching anything and they hadn't even seen a fish get caught in the entire area around us but I keep preaching patience and persistence and it paid off! I'm glad I didn't let them talk me into packing up.

Congrats on your catches. I was there also. I'll write up my report in a bit. I'm also going to see if I can find that app.

Congrats on getting some fish!! Hopefully that'll keep your boys interested. I know my son is so impatient if he doesn't catch anything he wants to quit and not go back out the next time I fish. It's nice when they get some action and they forget about video games for a while. I actually had to make it a rule that they can't be on their phones while we fish....lol. Not a very popular rule but I could care less if they like it or not. :).

also I just remembered another bit of information. I'm probably over analyzing this but during the slow stretch all morning the wind was coming out of the east and when the bite "turned on" the winds came from the west. Again I'm probably way over analyzing this but just throwing it out there

I'm new to the mice tail bait. How do I rig it? What size hook?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal_Fishing View Post
    I'm new to the mice tail bait. How do I rig it? What size hook?
    Number 8 size mosquito hook and hook it from the top of the head and into the tail. You can rig it up Carolina style or with just a split shot. I think dipping it in garlic helps too.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-21-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks for the help buddy! Tight lines!