Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

im off to search the internet with all the new new advice i have!!!!
    Seriously thanks guys much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    which exact toon is the one in your avatar? can you paddle with fins in a toon?
    Its a Colorado XT. You can use fins to kick around - ive heard toons referred to as kick boats, but I have short legs and I just use my trolling motor to get around. When Im drifting, ill just kick with my feet to make little adjustments.

Its true that its a bit of a hassle to set up, but Ive got it down to about 30 minutes so its not so bad, inflate both pontoons (the most time consuming, even with an air compressor), strap everything on and im off. If you have a big enough truck, you can have it assembled the night before, and just top off with a hand pump before you launch.

I vote for yak. I love my 10' fishing kayak ( a sit in kind), it keeps me dry and it can go fast if you want it to, especially on a windy day. It did tip over once and I lost two of my nice rods in the water in my begining yak fishing stage. But, after I got used to it, it is pretty stable as I am more experienced now.

Don't get a pontoon boat unless you plan on upgrading to using a trolling motor. I have one of those too and paddleing them sucks and although kicking can be done they are heavy and tall so wind is a big issue.

But if you have plans on a trolling motor it would be probably my first choice, remember you also have to register them which is another factor.

ODC420 or FC4 I have both I prefer the ODC420 because of better pockets and a slightly longer front end that makes you "feel" more stable.

I would say kayak, but it's a little pricey. I have a tube for sale if you choose to go that route.

If you want to spend more money I have this post for sale full float tube set up PROWLER FLOAT TUBE AND FLOAT TUBE FOR SALE
    EVERY THINK IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION , CHECK IT OUT , IT HERE IN THE FNN . YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR YOU LOVE FLOAT TUBING . AM JUST GETTING OUT OF FISHING FOR A WILE .

I have both kayaks and tubes, but most of the time I prefer to tube. You can fish while you paddle(kick) and you don't have to worry about re-positioning or drifting off of a spot. Also I get lazy and tubes fit in the trunk and pump up really quickly (main reason I use it over the yak). If you like trolling or need to cover a lot of water a yak is the way to go though. So both have their advantages, yak is just a bit more work to put up on the car in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishing Queen View Post
    I vote for yak. I love my 10' fishing kayak ( a sit in kind), it keeps me dry and it can go fast if you want it to, especially on a windy day. It did tip over once and I lost two of my nice rods in the water in my begining yak fishing stage. But, after I got used to it, it is pretty stable as I am more experienced now.
    thanks for the info, nice to hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by KILLA View Post
    I would say kayak, but it's a little pricey. I have a tube for sale if you choose to go that route.
    i will pm you

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Don't get a pontoon boat unless you plan on upgrading to using a trolling motor. I have one of those too and paddleing them sucks and although kicking can be done they are heavy and tall so wind is a big issue.

But if you have plans on a trolling motor it would be probably my first choice, remember you also have to register them which is another factor.

ODC420 or FC4 I have both I prefer the ODC420 because of better pockets and a slightly longer front end that makes you "feel" more stable.
    is it possible to mount a trolling motor to a tube? i know they make tubes with motors allready in them (http://motorizedu-tubecompany.com/), but if you did mount a TM to your tube how would you control it?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast