Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: transporting rods in truck???

Default transporting rods in truck???

well just want to see how all you guys and gals organize your rods?? did u built a rod holder that can hold them in place or what advice do you have?? I like to set up all my poles a night b4 but when i get to the lake they are usually all tangled. Well hopeful i make sense here and post up some pics

I lay mine down on the bed of the truck, butts forward. I figure since I am not prone to speeding off from a stop I won’t jam the tips into the tailgate but, if I put them with the tips forward I might have to jump on the brakes quickly enough to send them flying into the cab.

I typically fish either flylining or Carolina rigging, using a splitshot to hold the slider in place on my main line. I do not use a traditional, knotted-on leader, just the slider. When I leave the water I always remove the split shot and reel the terminal tackle up to the rod tip for storage. Keeps the slider on the line for easier rigging the next trip out, not having to thread the line through guides and then the slider, acts that usually take place in the dark or grey. When I get to where I’m going, I remove the hook and pull out all the line from the reel to the tip, plus a foot or so, then re-tie and add a new ‘shot.
    The reason I say all this is because I used to rig the night before and then lay the rods in the bed of my truck for the ride to the lake. There were enough times that I busted off what felt like a good fish (aren’t all the ones that bust off, big fish?) that I realized there was a little nick about the location the line would have left the rod tip while resting in the truck. One good bounce is all it took to damage the line enough to break under pressure.

I know a lot of fly fishermen who stow their rods in a ski rack atop the cab.

If I’m fishing salt water, nothing is rigged until I get on the boat. All line is kept inside the reel and its cover to avoid any damage on any loop.
    Hope that helps!

After rigging up your rods and having the hook secured either in the loop at the handle or hooked where the reel is attached, try pulling the line that isn't thru the guides and wrap it around the rod and guides
    so that there are no loose lines to get tangled with other rods. Kind of hard to explain, but if you try it a few times you'll get what I mean. Than lay the rods flat like Marley described.
    Or make up a way to Velcro them to the inside of the bed side walls.
    I have a shell on my truck which I bent some EMT to form a bow which goes inside the shell, up the side, across the top and down the other side. Then attached rubber rod holding clips on an aluminum bar to the EMT.
    You can either use these... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104539680
    or go this route... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104539680
    There's this way too... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104539680
    I'm sure you'll figure something out to cure your problem
    TTFM