Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Rod for Rapala countdown, etc for trout?

Default Rod for Rapala countdown, etc for trout?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on heading out to the June loop in a couple months and I was just getting all my gear together.

I have a bass pro shops 7'6 microlight fast action pole for my mini jigs, and a I use a Daiwa spinmatic for my lures (kastmasters, thomas buoyants, etc) and also deadsticking mice tails.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend for my third set up. I am wanting to use it with Rapala Countdowns, flickershads, shadraps, etc for both casting and flat line trolling if I get a boat. I was thinking that my bass pro shops rod is a little too "whippy" or flexible for it. I've used my Spinmatic for casting with it and it seemed ok but I'm not sure if the backbone needs to be a little stiffer. What would you guys recommend for a rod for using these plastic lures?? I was probiably going to pair it with either 4 or 6 pound test on a pleuger president reel. (unless you guys recommend something different)

Any opinions on what the best rod to get for the buck? Not looking to get a couple hundred dollar rod or anything.

What specs should I be looking for in the rod?

A simple rule that I followed was that if the lure has more than 1 hook, i.e, 2 trebles, you need a medium action rod, rather than a fast action rod to

1. Absorb the shock of getting bit with no slack.

2. Absorb the head shakes that will normally tear trebles off a fish when using a fast action rod.

I have 2 trout rods. My mini jig rod is a 7'2" extra fast rod that I use when fishing mini jigs, or anything with 1 hook.

My second is a 7'6" ML action casting rod, that has a more parabolic feel than the extra fast action rod. Shimano made an excellent ML powered 7'6" rod (Cumara Reaction Series) that would be perfect for this technique, especially if you are going to use it as a downrigger rod as well. The good news is that because it's no longer made, you may find a great deal on it. The bad part is the fact there aren't too many around.

Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm planning on heading out to the June loop in a couple months and I was just getting all my gear together.

I have a bass pro shops 7'6 microlight fast action pole for my mini jigs, and a I use a Daiwa spinmatic for my lures (kastmasters, thomas buoyants, etc) and also deadsticking mice tails.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend for my third set up. I am wanting to use it with Rapala Countdowns, flickershads, shadraps, etc for both casting and flat line trolling if I get a boat. I was thinking that my bass pro shops rod is a little too "whippy" or flexible for it. I've used my Spinmatic for casting with it and it seemed ok but I'm not sure if the backbone needs to be a little stiffer. What would you guys recommend for a rod for using these plastic lures?? I was probiably going to pair it with either 4 or 6 pound test on a pleuger president reel. (unless you guys recommend something different)

Any opinions on what the best rod to get for the buck? Not looking to get a couple hundred dollar rod or anything.

What specs should I be looking for in the rod?
    Go to Bass Pro Shops or even some Walmarts and pick up a Berkey Cherrywood 7 foot medium or medium/light casting rod for 25 bucks. it has a light tip and lots of backbone... i have 2 that were my DVL trolling rods. I still use them but i perfer 8 and 9 foot rods now.
    Last edited by pwynn; 06-23-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Last edited by gokuguy; 07-19-2016 at 11:26 PM.