Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Republicans Dump Trump at the Convention?

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I would have thought that after all the years of people barbecuing Obama on here. They would at least had someone in mind who they thought would do a much better job then Obama did!!! Now when I asked for their opinion of who that might be the crickets came out. Donald Trump can't be their big White Hope can he??? I'm shocked no one has suggested dumping Trump at the convention and then turn to Ryan to put things right. If you think about it, "What's not to like about Ryan!!!!" He's the speaker of the House and a fiscal Conservative!!!!! He's young and energetic and when compared to Hillary, he's in touch with this generation and not your fathers generation. Yet the Trump man keeps going!!!! If Donald Trump is going to get the nomination of the Republican party to be President of the USA. It's time they come up with a new party to replace the Republicans. The party of a bunch of do nothings, has no place in the Great United States of America!!!!
    The big reason Trump is doing so well is that he is not a politician at all and the politicians don't know what to do with him. Enough of America is speaking and I think enough of politics is listening. Party of do-nothings? Because they aren't letting bills get through? Obama promised to fundamentally change America but she wasn't, and isn't, fundamentally flawed. Thank God the republicans are there to block legislation and nominees; it's what the process was designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    it's kinda like when i ask you if you think the edges are straight on your pseudo-monogrammed net lettering...(and i'm not even asking if you think the spacing between your 3 initials are the same)

YOU... are not obligated to answer, so you don't have to...

Attachment 47967 <---- click here for a better view! lol

but in all fairness: a?, b?, c?

a) straight unwavering edges

b) crooked uneven edges

c) i drank a lot of cervezas, CHEE looking good!

try not to let your head explode...

you need to stop asking your question and i'll stop asking my question... no one seems to want to answer anyways!

lol

So tell us hookd, when you were getting that net handle rammed up inside you, did you pay as much attention to the inlays? Because you seem awfully obsessed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    So tell us hookd, when you were getting that net handle rammed up inside you, did you pay as much attention to the inlays? Because you seem awfully obsessed with them.
    The inlays were the last things he saw....

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    What a great idea!!!!!

Let's take a poll... who would like to nominate pucker boy to "call paul" and give him the good news???????

Dumb puck, call Paul and let him know that you're totally shocked that no one, but you, has suggested he'd do a way better job than dumbama and in fact you'd like to replace trump with him... (Paul is after all your suggestion, right???????)

Tell Paul you asked for everyone's opinion on fnn: "who'd do a better job than scumbama?" and all you heard were crickets. Tell paul he's got your vote and Let him know you think he's young and energetic too...

Is that how that works? You're surprised and trump gets dumped?
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Some where in America a village has lost their IDOIT!!!!! If located approach very carefully, he's been known to SHITE his pants when confronted by normal people!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    The big reason Trump is doing so well is that he is not a politician at all and the politicians don't know what to do with him. Enough of America is speaking and I think enough of politics is listening. Party of do-nothings? Because they aren't letting bills get through? Obama promised to fundamentally change America but she wasn't, and isn't, fundamentally flawed. Thank God the republicans are there to block legislation and nominees; it's what the process was designed to do.
    Obama was the first Black President, so fundamentally change America could mean many things to different people. How about one of the things to change is to end Bigotry and Racism? Just look at Trump, do you see any signs of him being a Racist?????? (he may also be our next President) That sure looks like a fundamentally flaw our country still has!!!!

As for the Congress is suppose to "Do nothing," come on did you really sleep through every history class you were in. Look at all the great public works the government as done, Hoover Dam was named after a very Conservative person who pushed the deal through. What about our National Parks, The New Deal, Eisenhower Interstate program. (the freeway you drive across our country on) Kennedy's dream of going to the Moon!!!!!!!! All the Civil Rights Bills Johnson passed. Are you going to tell me when you turn 65 you aren't going to take advantage of Medicare!!!! What about Obama Care????? Now that's it's really here and people are taking advantage of it, it's hard to argue it's just one big disaster. (I personally use it, so I'm not talking out of my arse on that subject) What about repairing our infrastructure??? How do you think the American public is going to react when the bridges start falling down and killing dozens of people??? (the demorats are going to blame the Republicans for that one) I think the audience gets the point!!!!!! Yea, a Do nothing government is a bad thing!!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-22-2016 at 10:16 AM.

If these Senators and Congressmen hate government so much, why do they run for the job in the first place? They are legislators, elected to legislate, expected and required by our Constitution to legislate. Not obstruct and just say no to everything.

Legislation requires compromise, that's how it works. Why can't the Republicans come up with some ideas that most of the population would agree with? Sensible tax reform, without just ineffective cuts for the rich. Jobs programs, like infrastructure projects, sorely needed across our nation. Student loan reform, so our children are not saddled with debt, precluding them from first home or other domestic purchases that actually boost the economy.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
    If these Senators and Congressmen hate government so much, why do they run for the job in the first place? They are legislators, elected to legislate, expected and required by our Constitution to legislate. Not obstruct and just say no to everything.

Legislation requires compromise, that's how it works. Why can't the Republicans come up with some ideas that most of the population would agree with? Sensible tax reform, without just ineffective cuts for the rich. Jobs programs, like infrastructure projects, sorely needed across our nation. Student loan reform, so our children are not saddled with debt, precluding them from first home or other domestic purchases that actually boost the economy.

John
    Legislation does require compromise, but compromise happens from all sides and is not "my way or the highway." Sensible tax reform is everyone paying the same percentage, not allowing many to live tax-free while the few at the top pay the most. Give people an incentive to be more productive and to make more money if they want to. If not then they can stay where they are. Jobs programs are fine as long as there is oversight. Student loans? Best way to stop the student loan problem is to allow the loans to be discharged in bankruptcy and requiring schools to re-pay those loans instead. It won't take long for schools to become very picky with whom the admit. Not every kid should go to college and we should stop insisting on that. Many kids are not cut out for college but would be better suited to learning a trade. Why punish those students who can't succeed in college with big debt and a dropout because they can't handle the college environment? Why punish those with good grades by saddling them with a lifetime of debt after graduating? Make college free for the top grade earners if you want, something that has real return on investment. Give real incentive to be productive members of society.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    The inlays were the last things he saw....

;-)
    apparently for you too!!!!!

lifetime guarantee, use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Legislation does require compromise, but compromise happens from all sides and is not "my way or the highway." Sensible tax reform is everyone paying the same percentage, not allowing many to live tax-free while the few at the top pay the most. Give people an incentive to be more productive and to make more money if they want to. If not then they can stay where they are. Jobs programs are fine as long as there is oversight. Student loans? Best way to stop the student loan problem is to allow the loans to be discharged in bankruptcy and requiring schools to re-pay those loans instead. It won't take long for schools to become very picky with whom the admit. Not every kid should go to college and we should stop insisting on that. Many kids are not cut out for college but would be better suited to learning a trade. Why punish those students who can't succeed in college with big debt and a dropout because they can't handle the college environment? Why punish those with good grades by saddling them with a lifetime of debt after graduating? Make college free for the top grade earners if you want, something that has real return on investment. Give real incentive to be productive members of society.
    Marley first and foremost I want to say, "I think you're are one of the more popular members on this board." You are always quick to offer useful fishing advice to anyone who ask's for it. (I respect that a lot) When it comes to politics on this board, I know there is a fair amount of people who really don't follow it and might actually learn something by reading our comments. Which further illustrates that point is the lurkers to members ratio. I use to say it was a 7/1 ratio lurkers to members. In the last few days when I've checked that number, it is now a 20/1 ratio in favor of the lurkers. What I'm getting at is this, "I don't think I'm going to change your mind on anything." But some lurker out there after hearing both sides of an argument will hopefully then be able to make up his own mind what he thinks the truth really is.

You bring up the point of sensible tax reform. Where everyone is paying the same percentage of Tax's. This is the old flat tax argument over the graduated Income tax scale. For those of you who don't know the dynamics of what that argument is, "here's go nothing." Everyone would pay 15% of everything they earned instead of the top earners pay up to 50% of what they make. The system where the top earners pay up to 50% of everything they earn is called the Graduated Income Tax system. (the one we currently have in place.) I've always wondered why the average Joe believes so much in that system. (flat tax system) The big winners in that system would be the super rich and the big losers would be the poor. The middle class might have a slight advantage in that system, but it is totally unfeasible. It try's to get money from the poor who don't have it and then let the Rich get totally richer. Would that system even work????? Noooooooo!!! It would not allow the Federal government to collect enough tax revenue to do much of anything. So what would they then do???? Totally Gut popular social programs???? (probably) Yet they would still want a big military budget. Guess who that sounds like????? The former USSR right before it all fell apart!!!! I'm not kidding!!!!!!!! Even though we hoped Obama could have done more. These crazy Republicans want to turn our whole system on top of itself to the point it may all fall apart!!!!! I'm not kidding!!!!!! Plain and simple their idea's just wouldn't work!!!!!!! If you don't believe that, think of some of the things Trump said, "do you really think deporting 11 million people is remotely possible????" Or building a border wall and make Mexico pay for it!!!! These Republicans and their ideas are nothing more then snake oil salesman and are you going to buy into that?????????
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-22-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks etucker1959, for explaining the downside of a flat tax. Some ideas sound simple, but just won't balance the books considering the fixed costs of a stable government and society. I really don't think anyone envisions Somalia as a "small government" utopia. We all want to drink clean water, breathe good air, work in a safe environment, have good roads, schools, hospitals, etc. Not to mention our national defense. And social safety net programs. It all costs money. What's wrong with accepting that fact?

Taxing poor people will just make them poorer, and more dependent on government help, food assistance, shelter, etc. This is where some Republicans even favor an increase in the EIC. It would be great if everyone was rich (and thin, and beautiful, and smart), but not even Jesus was able to change that situation. Income inequality has existed pretty much forever. Unfortunately, everyone needs food, shelter, healthcare, education, and security. Maslow's hierarchy of needs in action.

I actually took a couple classes in finance from Dr. Arthur Laffer at USC in the 1980's. He never promoted his theory (The Laffer Curve) as a panacea. Only to illustrate how increasing tax rates would eventually produce less revenue. This was derived from sustainable fisheries theory, aka environmental economics. Just like overfishing, there is a point where you begin to destroy the resource.

Of course, determining what "too high rates" actually are is the hard part. We know there were marginal rates at 90% or more in the 1950's, yet our economy was not stifled. And, continuing to lower upper tax rates since St. Reagan has not ever been shown to produce any boost of jobs. Only deficits. Hmm.

Capital gains rates are out of whack in a lot of areas as well. Mitt Romney pays lower tax rates than most middle class families, cause all his (investment) income is taxed at 15% IIRC. That's why his tax returns showed about 13% overall taxes paid. I'm sure he makes substantial contributions to charity, he seems like a decent fellow. The hedge fund guys use the "carried interest" laws to pay almost no taxes. Is that fair? They churn money and pay no taxes. Hmm.

Once again, complex issues require complex solutions, often involving.................compromises.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 03-22-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast