Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could use some help scouting for some SoCal Scouts

Default I could use some help scouting for some SoCal Scouts

I have a problem I could use some advice on. I am in charge of planning and executing a Boy Scout fishing trip in late September this year. I want all these boys to catch something so they can complete their Merit Badges . I'm basically a stream guy, I really have hit and miss results with lakes.

I have no idea how many boys will be signing up. We will be coming from Santa Clarita. I don't know of anywhere good locally to take them (they don't stock Piru creek nor Bouquet Creek anymore). I know if I take them up to Rock Creek (north of Bishop) the majority (if not all) will catch something but that is a 4 hour drive (without breaks). I can't find any good info for either Kennedy Meadows (3 hour drive ), nor the Kern near Lake Isabella 2-2.5 hour drive. I do see that DFG stocks both above and below the lake so I would assume there is at least the chance of some good fortune.

And since it is during the school year we couldn't leave town until 4:30 or so on Friday at the earliest.So it's either leave Friday and go to Isabella, camp for two nights or Leave early Saturday morning for Bishop and only camp overnight.

I'll have to scout (pun intended) out the trip myself before I drag these boys up there (unless I go to Rock Creek).

Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Default Santa ana river angeles oaks

Quote Originally Posted by JJTrue View Post
    I have a problem I could use some advice on. I am in charge of planning and executing a Boy Scout fishing trip in late September this year. I want all these boys to catch something so they can complete their Merit Badges . I'm basically a stream guy, I really have hit and miss results with lakes.

I have no idea how many boys will be signing up. We will be coming from Santa Clarita. I don't know of anywhere good locally to take them (they don't stock Piru creek nor Bouquet Creek anymore). I know if I take them up to Rock Creek (north of Bishop) the majority (if not all) will catch something but that is a 4 hour drive (without breaks). I can't find any good info for either Kennedy Meadows (3 hour drive ), nor the Kern near Lake Isabella 2-2.5 hour drive. I do see that DFG stocks both above and below the lake so I would assume there is at least the chance of some good fortune.

And since it is during the school year we couldn't leave town until 4:30 or so on Friday at the earliest.So it's either leave Friday and go to Isabella, camp for two nights or Leave early Saturday morning for Bishop and only camp overnight.

I'll have to scout (pun intended) out the trip myself before I drag these boys up there (unless I go to Rock Creek).

Jeremy
    Santa ana river in angeles oaks. Im pretty sure there stocking still in september. And the boy scouts have s camp of some **** up there. I seen there emblem around jenks lake

I remember catching a 13" Brown in the Owens River for my Fishing Merit Badge like it was yesterday. Believe me, it was a looooong time ago! God bless you for helping these boys achieve something wonderful and giving them memories they will never, ever forget! One of my favorite places that isn't as far as Bishop is Lone Pine Creek. Only 3 hours from Santa Clarita. From the 395 N/B turn left on Whitney Portal. Not even a mile up the road the creek goes under the road. We fish downstream all the way to the sandtrap, although going above is my preferred area. Several large pools and overhanging trees where the fish love to congregate! A couple of split shots and a couple of salmon eggs and you're good to go! Seems like a very safe area, just make sure to stay off the road as the cars going up to the campground drive fast. Be sure to post pics!

Quote Originally Posted by JJTrue View Post

Jeremy
    Congratulations on making a difference in these boys lives. You know....your best bet to catch fish with these kids will be in the Bishop area. The drive up Friday from Santa Clarita would be about the same as to Isabella. You'll have a day and a half to fish. Make reservations at the MillPond Campground just North of bishop which has a stocked lake with bass bluegill and trout and you can also fish the creeks McGee, Rock and Convict which should be good by then. Campground is very nice but recommend making reservations now as it fills up. Will the Scouts be fishing conventional gear or fly fishing? That would make a difference in the creeks you choose. SoCal locals will be running low by then and what fish that will be left after the limited stocking would be in remote areas and wild.

its cheasy.. but they do a kids day at Castaic may 4th.. they net off the dam plant trout and kids can catch up to 3 if its not packed but at least one. dude the bass spawn is starting at Castaic now though.. not sure your budget.. and how many supervisors you have but you should rent boats.. go on hopefully a semi clear non windy day. buy some cheap polarized glasses at Walmart like 15-20$ for at least the main people.. and go in coves where you can see bottom and look for fish and have the kids cast on them with tiny jigs like spro phat flies or crappie jigs. they will catch at least some small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jpainter View Post
    Santa ana river in angeles oaks. Im pretty sure there stocking still in september. And the boy scouts have s camp of some **** up there. I seen there emblem around jenks lake
    Thanks, this is now on my list of places to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by ttplt View Post
    I remember catching a 13" Brown in the Owens River for my Fishing Merit Badge like it was yesterday. Believe me, it was a looooong time ago! God bless you for helping these boys achieve something wonderful and giving them memories they will never, ever forget! One of my favorite places that isn't as far as Bishop is Lone Pine Creek. Only 3 hours from Santa Clarita. From the 395 N/B turn left on Whitney Portal. Not even a mile up the road the creek goes under the road. We fish downstream all the way to the sandtrap, although going above is my preferred area. Several large pools and overhanging trees where the fish love to congregate! A couple of split shots and a couple of salmon eggs and you're good to go! Seems like a very safe area, just make sure to stay off the road as the cars going up to the campground drive fast. Be sure to post pics!
    Thanks, I'll put it on my short list. I really want to give these boys a chance to catch some fish!

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    its cheasy.. but they do a kids day at Castaic may 4th.. they net off the dam plant trout and kids can catch up to 3 if its not packed but at least one. dude the bass spawn is starting at Castaic now though.. not sure your budget.. and how many supervisors you have but you should rent boats.. go on hopefully a semi clear non windy day. buy some cheap polarized glasses at Walmart like 15-20$ for at least the main people.. and go in coves where you can see bottom and look for fish and have the kids cast on them with tiny jigs like spro phat flies or crappie jigs. they will catch at least some small ones.
    Not cheesy at all. I had no idea it was going on. Unfortunately, Camporee is this weekend and most of the troop (including me) will be there.

Wouldn't it be worth giving Castaic lake or Lagoon a try.. its right there in town..

Quote Originally Posted by dixoncider View Post
    Wouldn't it be worth giving Castaic lake or Lagoon a try.. its right there in town..
    Yeah, I need to take a look there again too. I have only tried twice at Castaic and only once at the Lagoon and not so much as a bite (and that was about 4 years ago). I did see a YouTube video of some guys pulling in trout next to the boat ramp though. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast