Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fairmount Park: Surface bait time

Default Fairmount Park: Surface bait time

I stopped at this park today around noon and was surprised to see lots of watercress floating everywhere. I have not fished here for a couple of weeks so these water plants must grow really fast. At first I thought it was just the green moss that most shallow southern California ponds and lakes get every summer. When I got up closer to the water, I could see that it was watercress, which looks a lot like a bunch of tiny lily pads or Dichondra Grass. There was some surface moss also here and there and you could see water weeds that were growing up from the shallow lake bottom all over. To fish here now, it looks like it would be a great place for evening bass fishing with topwater baits and especially weedless frogs, and flylined texas rigged plastic worms. Forget crankbaits and jigs. You are going to get moss and weeds on your lures.

2. Default

Thanks for the tip!

I've been waiting all year for this!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I stopped at this park today around noon and was surprised to see lots of watercress floating everywhere. I have not fished here for a couple of weeks so these water plants must grow really fast. At first I thought it was just the green moss that most shallow southern California ponds and lakes get every summer. When I got up closer to the water, I could see that it was watercress, which looks a lot like a bunch of tiny lily pads or Dichondra Grass. There was some surface moss also here and there and you could see water weeds that were growing up from the shallow lake bottom all over. To fish here now, it looks like it would be a great place for evening bass fishing with topwater baits and especially weedless frogs, and flylined texas rigged plastic worms. Forget crankbaits and jigs. You are going to get moss and weeds on your lures.
    can u launch boats or tubes here?

Quote Originally Posted by RocFish View Post
    can u launch boats or tubes here?
    You have to go thru the city first. They recently made some changes and I have seen random boats and kayaks out there fishing. I kinda would like to know how it works also... Always wanted to fish the backside of the island

Here's a little Fairmount secret tip.. Use an old school black Jitterbug cast parallel to shore and worked back in with a few pauses here and there. Use this right before it gets dark. Works good after dark, but you can't see the strike very well so you miss the hook set. Once the water gets much cooler this method will stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Here's a little Fairmount secret tip.. Use an old school black Jitterbug cast parallel to shore and worked back in with a few pauses here and there. Use this right before it gets dark. Works good after dark, but you can't see the strike very well so you miss the hook set. Once the water gets much cooler this method will stop working.
    That, and twitching an old Rapala on the surface works at every pond, old school :)