Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potential Deterrence Methods for Pacific Harbor Seals &

Default Re: Potential Deterrence Methods for Pacific Harbor Seals &

How effective are electric cattle prods at deterring these guys? Does anyone know?

I personally would ban the angling, commercial and sport, of any predatory sharks in the coastal areas (say 0 to 20 nm off the coast). Let nature restore the balance. (of course I say this cause I have no interest in catching makos or any other sharks) :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sansou
    How effective are electric cattle prods at deterring these guys? Does anyone know?

I personally would ban the angling, commercial and sport, of any predatory sharks in the coastal areas (say 0 to 20 nm off the coast). Let nature restore the balance. (of course I say this cause I have no interest in catching makos or any other sharks) :D
    i'm heading out the end of the months for some makos that are 50+ whos want to join me :D (need to protect the beach from the big one)

Quote Originally Posted by sesgia
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_GSC
    Paintball guns work pretty well.

I too have been on MANY boats that have shot at seals with live ammunition. I've also watched one captain gaff a seal when it got close to the boat.
    Personally, I would have reported this to the DFG. I don't care if its the crew of the Excel or ANY boat, I would report them.
    is like the same thing but a bigger fish eat fish and people paid good money to on trip
    how would you feel if you hook up like a 60lb yellow or WSB and half way the "*bigger fish*" took it and all was there was just some part of the fish.
    i personally would allow the use of 22. (rubber shell only) no head shot
    I wouldn't give a sh*t about my 60lb. WSB if a seal was going to be GAFFED OR SHOT AT WITH LIVE AMMUNITION!!!!!!
    Thats just nature and how the food chain works. A big fish see's a weak fish as easy food.

Also, just because its a .22 calibre bullet doesn't mean it won't kill the seal. If you look at the ballistics of a .22LR bullet the least it would do to a seal is kill it. .22LR bullet can do MUCH more than that.

If you think the gaffing of a seal is better than a 60lb. WSB you're f***ed up.

kevin doesnt want to deter them, he wants to trap them for the Q!!!

SDLMB - so are you saying that its ok for YOU to shoot a seal but not anyone else.

I have never seen anyone try to intentionally gaff a seal. No one is stupid or strong enough to. They might use the gaff to deter them away from the fish but trying to stick them..... i dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ymin72
    SDLMB - so are you saying that its ok for YOU to shoot a seal but not anyone else.

I have never seen anyone try to intentionally gaff a seal. No one is stupid or strong enough to. They might use the gaff to deter them away from the fish but trying to stick them..... i dont think so.
    The capt was not trying to gaff it and bring it onboard. He had the gaff in the water, and waited for the seal to come by, when it was close he gaffed it quickly, then quickly got the gaff out of the seal. The seal made a noise, and swam off. We were in a good yellow bite and the seal was becoming a pain. I am not saying what he did was right...however I did not feel sorry for the seal. I guess I just viewed the captain as "the bigger fish".

I agree with Sansou...we need more sharks.

One way to control the seal population would be to sell tags for seals. Say....$500 per tag. I don't know about you, but I would pay $500 to bag a seal. I have lost too many WSB, cuda, and yellows to the dogs. We could then donate the meat to the homeless. It is a win-win. The state of CA gets revenue, I get to bag a seal, and the less fortunate get some food.

He is reffering to shoot seals with live ammunition as opposed to use of my rubber riot rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_GSC
    Paintball guns work pretty well.

I too have been on MANY boats that have shot at seals with live ammunition. I've also watched one captain gaff a seal when it got close to the boat.
    Personally, I would have reported this to the DFG. I don't care if its the crew of the Excel or ANY boat, I would report them.
    is like the same thing but a bigger fish eat fish and people paid good money to on trip
    how would you feel if you hook up like a 60lb yellow or WSB and half way the "*bigger fish*" took it and all was there was just some part of the fish.
    Read carefully little buddy.

i personally would allow the use of 22. (rubber shell only) no head shot.
    Read carefully little buddy
    That clears things up I guess. However, to my knowledge there are no such things such as .22 rubber rounds as .22 is already a small calibre

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123