Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
While I somewhat agree. I’ve seen the anger on the roads and lakes. People are getting out of control, but here in lies the problem. More guns to ‘protect from the crazies equals more guns and chances for stupid s**t to happen. I do have an enormous 14” razor sharp tuna filet knife I carry to clean fish or stop morons that may be stupid enough to try to board our boat. Not any good against a gun, but I don’t plan on EVER engaging in a shootout while fishing. It’s more of a deterrent to keep them from boarding should they have a massive anger issue and some jet skiers and wake boarders are just plain a**holes. If I did back country fishing, then he’ll yes I would consider packing.
I seldom find myself in places where large groups of people recreate anymore. Mainly hike in locations anymore. Bottom line is avoidance and situational awareness....at my age it's easy to keep in mind that " I'm as good once as I once was" (if that) and it's a lot easier now for me to just disengage and retreat. My knife fighting days ended when I came back from my second tour and took off the uniform in Everett, WA many years ago. It's a mindset that has had to be extended to where wild fish live....both here in SoCal and throughout many of the accessible wild places in the West. No different then I have to be very mindful of how I wade or boulder hop (crawl) and watching weather conditions.