Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full limits of Stripers at the Aqueduct!!!

Default Full limits of Stripers at the Aqueduct!!!

I believe when you get something going you should "Milk" the cow for everything it's worth. After I went to the Aqueduct 2 weeks ago and got bit almost every cast, "I felt it was worth another try." I even invited a couple of newbies I was so confident we were going to kill them. Well things didn't work out very well. The fish were biting with a lot more people fishing there. Let's just say we had some personality issues and we went home early!!! We did catch some Stripers but it wasn't a very satisfying trip. (that was weekend before last) The big issue after that trip is what to do with $50 worth of bait I had left over. Another trip with new fishing champions would do the trick.

For this trip (Easter weekend) I took my old hunting buddy Dan and one of his friends. Dan was the one who over a Decade ago jumped in the truck with me and headed north to the Aqueduct with no idea "WHERE" we were going!!! We did find them that day and the rest is history. He's the same guy I go to Lake Barrett with every year so he's no stranger to some of my adventures. (he's going with me this Mother Day to Lake Barrett, so this would be a good shake down cruise for both of us)

Once we got to the Aqueduct is was very crowded, so I didn't get to fish where I wanted too. I fished on the opposite side of the Aqueduct directly across where I was 2 weeks ago. (we were on the South side of the Aqueduct and I wanted to be on the North side) I watched the people on the North side just kill it!!!! (A bite on every cast) We did catch fish, we just had to work a lot harder at it then they did. Dan did a funny thing, he's recovery from some physical issues. So he just plopped himself in a chair, took my best rod (Loomis) cast out and just held the rod waiting for a bite. It did run along the bank, but when he got bit "SWING" and he was on!!!! He's bite to hook ratio was pretty impressive!!!! Most people use heavy weights and put it in a rod holder and bait and wait. Dan was using an 3/8 ounce slider with the worm rig. He did very well with over 30 fish caught and 2 legals in the ice chest. I concluded there are more smaller fish that hug the bank then out in the middle.

When it came to my fishing, I had my running shoes on. I would throw up river and walk it down and if I didn't get a bite after awhile I would let it run against the bank and catch a smaller fish. But I did get bit a fair amount of times in the middle of the Aqueduct and some of them were Legals!!! (A legal Striper in the Aqueduct has to be 18 inches) In reality I hooked 6 Legals this trip. But I was following DFG rules!!! No boat limits (I can't give my fish away to my friends) and once I limit out I must stop fishing for Stripers. So in other words it had to be a big fish for me to tag it. 18 inchers would be thrown back and I would keep only 19 1/2 inch fish or bigger. My first Legal was an 18 incher that unhooked himself once he got on the cement. That was funny to see a legal flop his way back to Freedom. (I wasn't going to keep him any way) The next Legal was a 19 1/2 incher and I tagged him. I then caught another 18 incher and threw him back. I then hooked the hardest fighting Striper I ever hooked in the Aqueduct. I was getting pretty excited to see how big this one was. Right when I got him next to the edge he opened his mouth and my worm came back to me in perfect condition. (shucks) I really wanted to see how big that fish was!!!! I caught another 18 incher that I threw back. I had to catch a bigger fish then 18 inches to tag, because once I did that I was done fishing. A little while later I caught an 21 1/2 inch Striper that didn't fight half as hard as that other fish that I lost. I did tag him and I was done fishing. I didn't mind kicking back for awhile, for I was moving (fishing) for 7 hours straight. I ended up with over 30 fish caught that day too!!! Dan's other friend caught his 2 legals and we were done for the day!!! A long day but a fun day!!! We left at 5:30 pm from the Shell station and got home right at dark.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-17-2017 at 05:11 PM.

sounds like a great time .

Oh man, with a report like this, you KNOW I had questions...

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I even invited a couple of newbies I was so confident we were going to kill them. Well things didn't work out very well. The fish were biting with a lot more people fishing there. Let's just say we had some personality issues and we went home early!!!
    Oh do tell!

I believe when you get something going you should "Milk" the cow for everything it's worth. After I went to the Aqueduct 2 weeks ago and got bit almost every cast, "I felt it was worth another try." I even invited a couple of newbies I was so confident we were going to kill them. Well things didn't work out very well. The fish were biting with a lot more people fishing there. Let's just say we had some personality issues and we went home early!!! We did catch some Stripers but it wasn't a very satisfying trip. (that was weekend before last) The big issue after that trip is what to do with $50 worth of bait I had left over. Another trip with new fishing champions would do the trick.

For this trip (Easter weekend) I took my old hunting buddy Dan and one of his friends. Dan was the one who over a Decade ago jumped in the truck with me and headed north to the Aqueduct with no idea "WHERE" we were going!!! We did find them that day and the rest is history. He's the same guy I go to Lake Barrett with every year so he's no stranger to some of my adventures. (he's going with me this Mother Day to Lake Barrett, so this would be a good shake down cruise for both of us)

Once we got to the Aqueduct is was very crowded, so I didn't get to fish where I wanted too. I fished on the opposite side of the Aqueduct directly across where I was 2 weeks ago. (we were on the South side of the Aqueduct and I wanted to be on the North side) I watched the people on the North side just kill it!!!! (A bite on every cast) We did catch fish, we just had to work a lot harder at it then they did. Dan did a funny thing, he's recovery from some physical issues. So he just plopped himself in a chair, took my best rod (Loomis) cast out and just held the rod waiting for a bite. It did run along the bank, but when he got bit "SWING" and he was on!!!! He's bite to hook ratio was pretty impressive!!!! Most people use heavy weights and put it in a rod holder and bait and wait. Dan was using an 3/8 ounce slider with the worm rig. He did very well with over 30 fish caught and 2 legals in the ice chest. I concluded there are more smaller fish that hug the bank then out in the middle.

When it came to my fishing, I had my running shoes on. I would throw up river and walk it down and if I didn't get a bite after awhile I would let it run against the bank and catch a smaller fish. But I did get bit a fair amount of times in the middle of the Aqueduct and some of them were Legals!!! (A legal Striper in the Aqueduct has to be 18 inches) In reality I hooked 6 Legals this trip. But I was following DFG rules!!! No boat limits (I can't give my fish away to my friends) and once I limit out I must stop fishing for Stripers. So in other words it had to be a big fish for me to tag it. 18 inchers would be thrown back and I would keep only 19 1/2 inch fish or bigger. My first Legal was an 18 incher that unhooked himself once he got on the cement. That was funny to see a legal flop his way back to Freedom. (I wasn't going to keep him any way) The next Legal was a 19 1/2 incher and I tagged him. I then caught another 18 incher and threw him back. I then hooked the hardest fighting Striper I ever hooked in the Aqueduct. I was getting pretty excited to see how big this one was. Right when I got him next to the edge he opened his mouth and my worm came back to me in perfect condition. (shucks) I really wanted to see how big that fish was!!!! I caught another 18 incher that I threw back. I had to catch a bigger fish then 18 inches to tag, because once I did that I was done fishing. A little while later I caught an 21 1/2 inch Striper that didn't fight half as hard as that other fish that I lost. I did tag him and I was done fishing. I didn't mind kicking back for awhile, for I was moving (fishing) for 7 hours straight. I ended up with over 30 fish caught that day too!!! Dan's other friend caught his 2 legals and we were done for the day!!! A long day but a fun day!!! We left at 5:30 pm from the Shell station and got home right at dark.

I was unaware that there is a striper tagging program in the duct. Can you elaborate?

We like photos ��

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    We like photos ��

Or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster1 View Post
    I was unaware that there is a striper tagging program in the duct. Can you elaborate?
    Hunting expression. When you tag something you bag it, catch it, keep it etc. Let's say you go Deer hunting and your successful. By law you have to attach a paper tag you purchased from the DFG to the antler of the Deer with your name and hunting license on it!!! (you now tagged it and it's yours) In fishing on some of the sportfishing boats, I've heard them use the expression, "tag it and bag it!!!" lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Well done. I really want to make a trip out there but have been slammed at work. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it out in the next couple of weeks.

Hunting expression. When you tag something you bag it, catch it, keep it etc. Let's say you go Deer hunting and your successful. By law you have to attach a paper tag you purchased from the DFG to the antler of the Deer with your name and hunting license on it!!! (you now tagged it and it's yours) In fishing on some of the sportfishing boats, I've heard them use the expression, "tag it and bag it!!!" lol
    Only because they need to identify who belongs to the fish on sportboats, tag it and bag it has no logical meaning when applied to duct striper fishing.

Enjoy the crowds at that "secret" spot!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Only because they need to identify who belongs to the fish on sportboats, tag it and bag it has no logical meaning when applied to duct striper fishing.

Enjoy the crowds at that "secret" spot!
    Seal, you are forgetting the Golden Rule. He who writes the "Fish reports" on FNN makes the rules!!! lol lol lol

Seal, all kidding aside, have you looked at the viewers count lately at FNN??? It's usually something like this, 316 people viewing and only 6-8 members checked in at any one time. I've got a "HUGE" audience of silent viewers, so I can call or rename anything and not worry too much about being corrected for incorrect use of proper nomenclature. lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-18-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast