Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonita back?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Could be rumors or Facebook BS, but I saw and read that a local Bonita bite is back in SoCal. Anyone know or witness this?
    Confirmed Not BS

Power Plant is running at King Harbor for the last 2 days. The last 6 years + it is only running a few weeks a year.
    Went down to check it out a couple hours ago 8/16 Tue 11 am
    Guys on the short pier tossing Mega baits/Krocs but no hookups. Small schools of 4" anchovies by the short pier.
    Reports from guys of some 4 - 6 lb Bonito cruising, 4lb rat yellowtail caught on the Horseshoe.

Best bet is to fish Samba at the bubble. The hot cooling water is bringing in the bait schools.
    Go get um.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Power Plant is running at King Harbor for the last 2 days.
    DR,

But is it pumping out hot water? I thought that plant was decommissioned a long time ago and no hot water had been pumped out since the early 90s. All it does now is recirculate the colder water.

Then again, I've never seen it NOT running. I didn't know they stopped it completely.

Those were the days though. I've never had a light spinning reel destroyed by a fish ever, except at KH.

Don't know about the piers but Catalina was filled with 3-5 pound Bonita when I went out of Davy's Locker. Everyone was saying its the best Bonita fishing for the past 10 years. Hopefully its true.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    DR,

But is it pumping out hot water? .
    They have been recirculating off and on for years, probably to keep the pipes clean.
    No steam now but when I posted a this reply a few days ago there was a huge steam plume.
    From what I understand is that when steam is pouring out of the smokestack then it is running.
    Steam was only coming out of 1 stack, I believe that is maybe 25% ? When steam is coming out the bubble area
    is very turbulent. No steam today, Sat 8/20.

Back in the day when Edison would 100% KH would get very warm. I've had friends that lived on boats and space heaters
    where rarely needed to keep warm even in winter.

New proposed KH rebuild, fisherman, locals do not like this.
    Keep it a harbor, not a Mall and Condos

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    New proposed KH rebuild, fisherman, locals do not like this.
    Keep it a harbor, not a Mall and Condos

Just to play Devils advocate, "isn't the harbor and the surrounding area pretty dead now?" Sounds like some jobs to be had!!!! lol With all the increased productivity in so many professions, shouldn't we applause d rebuilding certain area's to their highest and best use?????
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-20-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12