Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mystery fish caught at Silverwood identification help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToadsToadsOnly View Post

I am fairly certain you have rather large specimens of hitch (Lavinia exilicauda). As you noted, the peculiarly shaped and sized caudal fin coupled with the upwards pointing terminal mouth and anal fin proportion really offers a positive identification. Interesting what species can travel through the aquaduct, isn't it?

I will have to agree with others, you should never kill or keep species that you cannot identify. When you first killed the fish, did you know whether they were Sacramento splittails, Tui chubs, Arroyo chubs, or California roach? These rough fish species aren't commonly identified by sportfishers, and the awareness needs to be made that despite the lack of sportfishing status, many species of Californian roughfish are protected. It's important that fishermen do not contribute to their diminished population.

Additionally, I highly doubt whether any fish without a labyrinth organ could survive for over an hour out of water. While the fish may have swam away, it does not mean anything in terms of long term survival. I would recommend if you intend on releasing any fish, to NOT allow it to sit out of the water for over an hour. It just makes no sense.
    Last edited by bigminnowfisher; 04-08-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Yes I have caught them before, on the fly in Cleghorn. I do not know for sure the species, the tui chub made sense to me but I got no idea!

I would agree keeping fish of an unknown species is not a good idea, but I don't think he hurt the population much and basically nobody is targeting them and they probably taste like complete crap (or carp) so doubt the population is in much danger, unless of course ToadsToadsOnly frequents the lake often.

Reading more on the tui chub there has been a hybrid of the tui and arroyo chub found at the Mohave Forks dam but really that hitch looks like a pretty good match. Soooooooo many species in Silverwood that many have never seen, special place!
    Last edited by seal; 04-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Speaking of which..

Remind me to show you my chub when we meet!
    That little chub you keep hidden away, No thank"s

I showed it to Greg Silks he said Hitch no dought !

It's a freshwater queen fish.

Midshipman.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I would agree keeping fish of an unknown species is not a good idea, but I don't think he hurt the population much and basically nobody is targeting them and they probably taste like complete crap (or carp) so doubt the population is in much danger, unless of course ToadsToadsOnly frequents the lake often.
    I agree that he definitely didn't do any harm, and I don't mean to come off as judgmental nor derogatory. I just meant to remind anglers that many times not being able to identify a fish means you won't know it's protection status, nor bag limits, nor size limits, so it's always best to release the fish quickly and ensure they survive, just in case. Who knows, next time it may be a Razorback Sucker that someone accidentally catches, and every single fish is important to maintain that species right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Midshipman.
    Always a midshipman!!

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Always a midshipman!!

100% hitch. There used to be a crapload of them in Quail Lake too. That was when the Quail stripers were huge and plentiful. They gorged on the hitch. Nice to see them in Silverwood. Let em multiply so that record striper that I think Silverwood of all the local lakes holds can gorge on them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast