Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wild Golden Trout in Los Angeles National Forest (perhaps?): Trout Report

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    I correctly identified this one as well, he he he. And zombies don't like me anyway. Not enough brains, lol...
    lol! It does look very familar.

Quote Originally Posted by skyler View Post
    i correctly identified this one as well, he he he. And zombies don't like me anyway. Not enough brains, lol...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	39698
    skylllleeeeeerrrrrr!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShatKhan.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	39697  
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 03-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.

I fished the San Gabriel River for around 10years hardcore; fly fishing mostly in the 90s. I once fished Santa Anita Canyon and killed it up there. There were a few cutthroats in there but not in the SGR. I would catch and release a lot of lil' rainbows that looked like Goldens. I read an article on these fish and they turned out to be hybrids of the native Goldens and the stocked Rainbows. I named them San Gabriel Goldens.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    I clearly see your point of view Viejo and have the same fears you do; that is why I rarely post my catches. However, I only know of one of Carpangler's posts where someone has figured out the exact location by analyzing his photos. The person who figured out the location knows the terrain of the So Cal mountains like the back of his hand and would be my bet to survive a zombie apocalypse. My point is that Carp is very careful of his locations and anyone who could figure out the locations from Carps photos would have to already know the spot to begin with. I actually think that most honey holes are exposed by word of mouth and Gmaps. I do agree that our local streams can be decimated in a day by a couple of douchebags. I've seen it happen. Luckily, the stream has recovered over the years.

Kobinator, I wish that gentrifying the streams would work, but I know it won't. You just have to look at the trash left by idiotic, low-life fishermen at popular lakes and streams like Silverwood and the stocked areas of the Santa Ana River.
    My sentiments exactly!!! Gorgeous fish Carpangler! Tight Lines and Full Tails!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpinnerBaitKing View Post
    I fished the San Gabriel River for around 10years hardcore; fly fishing mostly in the 90s. I once fished Santa Anita Canyon and killed it up there. There were a few cutthroats in there but not in the SGR. I would catch and release a lot of lil' rainbows that looked like Goldens. I read an article on these fish and they turned out to be hybrids of the native Goldens and the stocked Rainbows. I named them San Gabriel Goldens.
    If they were hybrids, they were brought in from elsewhere. Golden's are not native to any SoCal ranges. Their original range was the Southern Sierras, specifically the Little Kern and Volcano Creek drainages. Stocking and hybridizing has spread the fish throughout the Sierras, as well as other Western states. But again, there were not 'native' fish to the San Gabe's, Berdoo's, etc.

Now, the local rainbow variants can be equally as stunning. They range from chromers to the stunning palettes of pre-spawn. But, they are not Goldens.

2,800 and counting. This thread will be read by 4,000 by the time the weekend's over. No interest in this creek or those fish. The 1% that will find those fish will only number 40 people or so and of course, they all will be doing quality Catch and Release, leaving no Milwaukee's Best beer cans laying around and they will never tell any of their friends. Gotta love the internet.
    Last edited by Viejo; 03-20-2013 at 05:33 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker Of Fish View Post
    I gotta ask what's with the masked fisherman photos ? I understand keeping your spot on the D.L. but your face?
    Unless you have been featured on Americas most wanted or are an aspiring Taliban apprentice I have to wonder why .
    I am new here so maybe there is a great reason for it . If so I would like to know . By the way some people are savy enough
    to use foliage clues to find areas as well as geological and other natural clues so be advised a picture does speak a thousand words
    to those who care to listen . I keep my guesses to my self but I think it's fun to use clues and try and name the spot .
    I enjoyed your post and am glad you provide someone disabled a means to experience Wild Trout fishing !
    Koudos on a great writeup I love river and stream fishing more than any other .
    Thanks

I am wearing a Buff headband/face mask. It's breathable and lightweight, very comfortable. I prefer it to smearing oily sunscreen on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Cop View Post
    Unless it was Kurt or Vince at BSP, most of the guys that filter thru the fly shop wouldn't know a wild fish if it bit them in the arse. Not to say they aren't legit anglers, but if you have not spent a lot of back country time, you don't really know. Be like me commenting on whether a LMB is a southern strain or not...

The gill plate and lateral line colorization are your first clues of it being a bow. Then, when you see the pectoral and anal fins, it's a dead giveaway. You have C&R'd a mature local buck and should be complimented. He's been in the water enough seasons to lose his par marks, and with the spawn starting to take shape, he's the Alpha bow in full color. Awesome!

And, as Viejo mentioned, I'd keep your spot low key. With 13,000,000 people next door, it only takes a couple to decimate a run. And, way to rock the buff!
    Funny you beat me to it. It actually amazes me some of the individuals working BPS that really aren't that knowledgable, you would think the pool of advanced anglers that would like a job at BPS would allow them to hire experienced fisherman. Maybe they should use his pic as an interview question, lol.

Rainbow not a brown I agree.
    Last edited by seal; 03-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Sorry, but those are not browns or cutts. Those are just Native Bows. Pretty fish nonetheless.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sierratroutslaya View Post
    Sorry, but those are not browns or cutts. Those are just Native Bows. Pretty fish nonetheless.
    Thank you, everyone! Great to have my question on these trout answered. Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast