Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affordable Mini Jig Rod, beginner angler looking for advice.

Thanks again for the replies!!! After reading through some of the responses I think I may give 2# test line a try. Maybe buy an extra spool of 2# for when the fish are finicky and use a 4# test as my main spool.

I looked up that Pflueger trion gx 4 reel, but wasn't able to locate that particular reel....I do see a bunch of gx 7 reels though, is that just the newer version of the gx4? Seems like the price is much lower than the Shimano Sedona, so if I could save 30 bux and get a comparable reel, than I think thats wat I may go for.

One last question about jigging, do you guys prefer to tie on the mini jig tube directly to the main line with maybe a split shot or bobber above if its windy, or do you guys use the drop shot method for jigging as well?

There is no option...your either jigging or dropshotting, THERE NOT THE SAME...Always tie the jig directly to the mainline and never use a split shot it will kill the action of the jig...jiggin is a completely different method than dragging a powerworm along the bottom with a d/s...if you need to cast farther use a larger jighead, but you will have to retrieve it faster. Bobbers work well to entice finicky fish, will get you extra distance, and allows you to stay in the right column when the fish are suspended

If attempting to jig in the wind, keep your rod tip low to the water so the wind doesn't carry your line half way across the lake
    Last edited by Piss on Myspace; 02-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.

I too use Daiwa Spinmatic rods. Use a 6 ft. for drop-shotting AND tiny jigs for crappie/panfish (you can do both- works fine), and I use a 4 footer for docks and vertical float tube fishing. Great ultralight rods for the price.

Just a little update on the thread.

I went to Bass Pro Shops for the first time and was pretty impressed with the store overall ,its huge! Anyways, I saw a Daiwa Spinmatic 7 footer there but opted to go with a 7'6 bass pro shops micro lite rod. The worker said recommended it very highly. He said for the price it was as nice a rod as any until you get into the 100+ range. Nice little surprise as I got the rod for 39 dollars on sale. The feel of it was really nice, very sensitive, but the only worry I had was that it might be a little too springy, not sure if itll interfere with hooking fish or not.

Also, it said its rated for 1/16th lures, but I checked out many other poles rated for 1/32 and Im' not quite sure what the difference is. THere were many that had very similar feels to the microlite rod that were rated for 1/32. I bought a few 1/16 atomic teasers though just in case. :D

As for the reel, I really liked the feel of the Sedona so I ended up getting a Sedona 1000. It was a tossup between that one and the Sahara, and the ABu garcia Ora. Got it spooled with Izorline xxx 2# test. Thanks again for all your replies and suggestions, they helped a bunch.

The set up as a whole feels really nice and balanced, but Ive never used anything above a 6'6 rod so I hope I get used to it pretty quickly.

Ill give you an update after next week's trip. =)

You chose a solid starter all around setup. Stick with 2lb. test since casting jigs will be much easier. Good luck with your new rig.

I have a couple of the Sahara and Sedona reels
    They work great.

Glad to hear you got a good setup. Now you need to buy a nice float tube to get you away from shore !!

i have been thought a lot of rods for trout. I love the jaws 2-8lb 7'0 model 70208S for dropshot and the phenix iron feather for mini jigs. The jaws rod has a very sensitive tip but with a lot of backbone. its just perfect for dropshot. The phenix iron feather tip is so sensitive that you dont need to jig it hard. I also have the spinmatic, it is good for the price but i would spend more to get the jaws and iron feather.

The rod I use for mini jigs is the American Spirit 7 foot APC Series. It is a fiberglass rod. Very "noodly". I use for deadsticking MiceTails, too. But it seems to be more suited for mini jigs. Also use an American Spirit 7-1/2 foot ETX/Elite Trout Series rod. Not as noodly but more so than a Spinmatic. Both I've bought at Turner's or Longfin Tackle in Orange.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12