Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: LNL or Irvine?

Default LNL or Irvine?

Pretty new to tubing. Only went once in the Sierra but I'm all geared up and ready to go tomorrow. Presidents Day!
    Just wondering which lake is better for new tubers. I know it gets windy at Irvine but I've read alot of negative stuff about LNL stocking program.
    I know it's not about "catching" but just being on the water, but it sure helps when you do catch something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Let us know where you ended up going and how it went !

Lnl tubing is pretty awesome: wind rarely an issue, can catch fish in 2ft of water to 20ft plus, easy kickin to anywhere in the lake.
    Irvine is free, not as crowded, but more dangerous with boats, wind can cause white caps in no time even when weather reports say little to no wind
    IMHO, in terms of catching fish, irvine is more based on you finding them, lnl can be more easily affected by pressure.

Irvine's free launch is the best ever. I've been tubing irvine every weekend for the past two years religiously and I've only seen two days of really bad wind. You just got to be smart about it and plan your method of attack with the wind in mind. As for boats, yea they are there but again, only had one day where I was nearly hit.. Dumb guy was rigging up while driving his pontoon and wasn't paying attention to the water. Float tubers get the right of way because we don't have motors. Stocking is like clockwork at the vine and the staff is amazing. You do have to look for fish at the vine but the staff will lead you in the right direction. Where ever you go, have fun and post a report!

*shakkaa*

Sorry it took so long to report back. I tried uploading a couple of pictures. Wouldn't work and I got frustrated. I decided to go to Irvine. Got there about 8 am on presidents day. i was surprised at the amount of people there. i fished from shore, just west of the boat ramp for about 2 hours. Used PB and throwing spinners. No luck at all. About 10am I moved to the boat ramp and jumped in the tube. I kicked out on the east side of the ramp. My first time using Berkley worms, 1st cast, a real nice crappie!! Another 1/2 hour, nothing. kicked back to shore to remove my jacket, grabbed my phone for some pics. kicked back to the same area but i tried a Trout Tube. 1st cast, the biggest bass I've ever caught ! ( I don't really fish for bass) It had to have been in the 4-5# range. On 2# line, it was alot of fun. I stayed til about 2:30 and got nothing more. Bass and crappie, I'm thinking the water was too warm for trout? Maybe deeper water? Overall.........it was a good day. Perfect weather and my biggest bass. can't wait to go again !

what day of the week does irvine stock?

Sorry to hear about your day, at least you got a nice bass and crappie!

They stock Wednesday and Thursdays or Thursdays and Fridays.

*shakkaaa*