Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1/15/13 malibu pier/surf killed the skunk!

Default 1/15/13 malibu pier/surf killed the skunk!

Finally beat the skunk!!!

Woke up around 7 and headed out with a buddy who I live with and hit the surf. I started throwing this silver croc for about 1 hour with no luck I'm still struggling hooking up on the surf. I think it's mainly my technique I'm not sure if I'm doing things right when I'm out there but that will come with time. We hit the pier after about a hour and went towards the back and I saw a big black grey ball in the water. From there on it was a fish every time the line hit the water for about 2 hours we ended up I think c&r about 60-75 perch from 6-10 inches long it was a blast.

As we were leaving we saw a couple fish in the the surf that were atleast a couple pounds we were on the pier still. I think they were corbina but I have no idea what to use for them if the lc's will work or should I use blood worms or what any tips would be great for the surf and different things to use for different fish thanks for reading and helping out guys!

Well first off welcome to the forum and congrats on getting some action. Tough weekend up and down the coast so when you find em, enjoy the ride.

If what you saw were Corbina then good luck. I would stick to the blood worms or even some mussel. Those fish spook real easy. My fishing Yoda has told me how to catch em but I am "Uncoachable" and have to try all the wrong things first, then do what is suggested....LOL

Good luck on em, maybe this year I will pursue them for awhile this year as well.

WWO

Hi ya blakeb,

"From there on it was a fish every time the line hit the water for about 2 hours we ended up I think c&r about 60-75 perch from 6-10 inches long it was a blast".

I see no need to assist you......you are doing just fine on your own Sir! Great fish count indeed!
    Try the mussels and blood worms like WWO suggested! Also...you can try a C-Rig with a soft shell sand crab! Good set up for both Corbina and BSP!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya blakeb,

"From there on it was a fish every time the line hit the water for about 2 hours we ended up I think c&r about 60-75 perch from 6-10 inches long it was a blast".

I see no need to assist you......you are doing just fine on your own Sir! Great fish count indeed!
    Try the mussels and blood worms like WWO suggested! Also...you can try a C-Rig with a soft shell sand crab! Good set up for both Corbina and BSP!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><

Hey thanks Dan appreciate the support! Hoping to get out there on Thursday for some more fish.

Always fun to get into a open bite like that.
    As far as the corbina, definately carolina rig with sand crab.
    Nice job out there,
    Robert
    <><

Congrats man!
    I love when the perch bite just goes off like this. I only wish my noob friends could experience times like this
    Thanks for the report

Thien

Way to go out there! Those are some impressive numbers!
    Sounds like a fun time catching some feisty perch. I'm always surprised at the fight some of the larger models can put up.
    Thanks for the report and goodluck out there!

-Daniel

Great catching.....
    Those Corbina spook easy. C rig, 1/2 oz sliding egg, 4 lb leader @ 20", sandcrab.
    Best not to stomp through the water when targeting Corbina.
    There used to be many surf fishermen that would target them but nowadays it is all about Halibuts and LC's ? Boy does the www sure create trends ?
    DR