Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 9/12

Default 9/12

bites been great out at the lake lately. been hammering it every couple days with numbers pushing 30 fish and weight on the good days being over 20 pounds. average day is between 12 to 18 pounds. quality is definitely there but the majority of the fish are between 2 and 3 pounds. took a customer of mine out today and told him about what i've been doing. fluke, swimbait and jig. told him the options, told him the depth zone and mentioned the quality with each. needless to say he was right on the same train of thought as me. go big or go home.

fished the swimmer right off the bat and started to get some love. first fish of the day on the triple trout was a smallie which was pretty rad. started getting swirled and slapped at with a fish here and there with no size. biggest fish was the smallmouth at around 2 pounds give or take. no scale; no pictures; not a big deal. definitely cool though!

screwed around with the jig and after 2 casts definitely didnt feel like fishing 30 40 when the fish wanted to eat reaction on the bank. i mean come on haha!

hit the bank and dropped the big bait rod to try and find something new that i hadnt been doing; BIG rip baits. got some attention but wasnt the right time. with lack of wind we had to fish something shallow with a subtle movement so we went to the fluke. immediately got some fish to go with the biggest maybe 3 pounds. filled the void for sure. after 10 fish? (really cant remember) we went back to looking for a good fish or 5. grabbed the swimbait rod and altered between the triple and the 5" clacker cl8 bait. this cl8 has been doing work for me lately with some really really good days. ended up getting bit a few times and getting one on it while the wind blew for a few minutes. once again, wind shut off, reaction shut off. oh well. its dvl!

went back to trying to force feed fish with the fluke. got some more cookie cutter fish. once the wind picked up, the swimbait rods were picked up. jammed around the lake with some softbait stuff and got some fish. in the mean time, my eyes were opened up to a soft swimbait and type of retrieve that was pretty cool. its not my particular bite to give or bait to blow up so i dont feel right about talking about it on an open forum, but if the customer wants to chime in on here i'm sure he'd spill the beans. definitely a cool cat.

needless to say we got fish here, got fish there the rest of the day with nothing of real size to show for it. very fun day on the water screwing off. fish count or quality definitely wasnt comparable to the past week, but fish are still eating and are DEFINITELY catchable for those thinking of making a trip out there. forage is changing so stay on your toes. trust your gut and make on the fly decisions.

hope this report will steer you in some sort of good direction. im beat so if you dont understand the jibberish; dont hold it against me haha.

Nothing is better than catching a nice smallie. I love fishing for them. I think thats why my favorite lakes are Lopez and Cachuma. I still have yet to catch one at Diamond Valley. Nice going Matt!

Nice report...
    I'll have my day on DVL like that soon...........i hope...lol