Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: The Legg 5/19

Default The Legg 5/19

@@@ Oops! Edit: Wrong date! Should be 5/17. Not a future post. Ha, ha! Sorry! @@@

Bear with me my fellow FNNers, this is my first actual fishing report on the board. It's been a long, long time since I've fished, probably a good 10 years or so and after picking up a couple of inexpensive ($20) Diawa rods from Cabela's online a few weeks ago, I decided to hit up Legg lake yesterday afternoon around 2:00. It was a nice day out 80 degrees and sunny, so I figured I'd try out the ultralight combo and try for some sunfish. It really didn't matter what I was fishing for, it was just really good to be fishing again! So on the way over to the lake I hit up Walmart to pick up some red worms and meal worms, just my luck the cooler is wiped out! So I took the quick detour to Richard's tackle shop and luckily they had just gotten a new batch of meal worms in, so I grabbed a jar and rolled out.

I got to the lake and I already had an idea of the area I wanted to fish after walking the lake checking things out last week, kinda scouting it I guess. I just wanted to get a line wet so I didn't bring a large tackle box, just a little pocket Plano with a few hooks and small split shots, not a whole lot. There was a few guys fishing in the general area I hit so I just shifted over a bit. The set-up was pretty basic, just a small bobber with a tiny split shot halfway between the hook and bobber. Bait was just the meal worms because that was all I had. Worked an area around 15-20 feet side to side casting around 7 to 10 feet out. The guys next to me were just KILLING the catfish! As for me, I caught one 1/2 10" redear after about an hour or so, lost a cat that broke me off because of a frayed line and that was about it. The catfish were really active though, I guess they planted all 3 lakes on Wednesday evening, I even saw a few swimming in the shallows 2 to 4 feet out. The guys that were killing it were fishing half a night crawler with some garlic power bait near the eye of the hook (think mice tails). I hung out for a little and watched them catching the cats like crazy and finally left around 5:30/6. It was a fun day out there, I gotta go back soon. The thing I did notice in my time there though, there needs to be some type of DFG presence at the lake at some point, especially after a plant. People were just keeping way, WAAAY too many fish. I understand that catching like that at the Legg is a rare occurrence and it's fun as hell, but when people are keeping EVERY fish they catch, it's ridiculous! I've read about it many times on the board, it was just kinda disappointing to actually see it...

*** I took a few pictures but I gotta figure out how to post them up ***
    Last edited by aperez3523; 05-18-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aperez3523 View Post
    @@@ Oops! Edit: Wrong date! Should be 5/17. Not a future post. Ha, ha! Sorry! @@@

Bear with me my fellow FNNers, this is my first actual fishing report on the board. It's been a long, long time since I've fished, probably a good 10 years or so and after picking up a couple of inexpensive ($20) Diawa rods from Cabela's online a few weeks ago, I decided to hit up Legg lake yesterday afternoon around 2:00. It was a nice day out 80 degrees and sunny, so I figured I'd try out the ultralight combo and try for some sunfish. It really didn't matter what I was fishing for, it was just really good to be fishing again! So on the way over to the lake I hit up Walmart to pick up some red worms and meal worms, just my luck the cooler is wiped out! So I took the quick detour to Richard's tackle shop and luckily they had just gotten a new batch of meal worms in, so I grabbed a jar and rolled out.

I got to the lake and I already had an idea of the area I wanted to fish after walking the lake checking things out last week, kinda scouting it I guess. I just wanted to get a line wet so I didn't bring a large tackle box, just a little pocket Plano with a few hooks and small split shots, not a whole lot. There was a few guys fishing in the general area I hit so I just shifted over a bit. The set-up was pretty basic, just a small bobber with a tiny split shot halfway between the hook and bobber. Bait was just the meal worms because that was all I had. Worked an area around 15-20 feet side to side casting around 7 to 10 feet out. The guys next to me were just KILLING the catfish! As for me, I caught one 1/2 10" redear after about an hour or so, lost a cat that broke me off because of a frayed line and that was about it. The catfish were really active though, I guess they planted all 3 lakes on Wednesday evening, I even saw a few swimming in the shallows 2 to 4 feet out. The guys that were killing it were fishing half a night crawler with some garlic power bait near the eye of the hook (think mice tails). I hung out for a little and watched them catching the cats like crazy and finally left around 5:30/6. It was a fun day out there, I gotta go back soon. The thing I did notice in my time there though, there needs to be some type of DFG presence at the lake at some point, especially after a plant. People were just keeping way, WAAAY too many fish. I understand that catching like that at the Legg is a rare occurrence and it's fun as hell, but when people are keeping EVERY fish they catch, it's ridiculous! I've read about it many times on the board, it was just kinda disappointing to actually see it...

*** I took a few pictures but I gotta figure out how to post them up ***
    Nice report. Always good to get back fishing! The catfish they stocked are hard fighters this time.Even a two pounder can give some good fight on a medium-hard rod. You must had fun with the ultralight gear!

Bao

Good report,actually Legg Lake gets checked by DFG pretty regularly,so if people were keeping more than they should,hopefully they will get caught,last week I saw a guy snagging there,now thats really bogus,and he was walking around acting like he was a legit bass fisherman,but as I watched you could see him cast far and then wind a couple of times and then just rip it,as he was walking by I could see a sinker and a couple of trebles above it,wish the dfg was there that day.He might have been trying for carp,but I feel sorry for any bass that got in the way.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by StroBao13 View Post
    Nice report. Always good to get back fishing! The catfish they stocked are hard fighters this time.Even a two pounder can give some good fight on a medium-hard rod. You must had fun with the ultralight gear!

Bao
    Thanks Bao! You're right about the catfish they stocked, they were some hard fighters and pretty chunky too. They all seemed to be around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds and the one I lost was around that same size from what I could tell. I'm looking forward to getting out there again.

cool report man thanks for the good read

i hit legg often in the summer. just to chase the blue gill around with my fly rod. try picking up an assortment of #12-#16 bead head flys i found darker colors such as brown or olive green. Legg lake pan fishing can be a challenge but its defiantly fun hopefully ill see you out there soon

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post

i hit legg often in the summer. just to chase the blue gill around with my fly rod. try picking up an assortment of #12-#16 bead head flys i found darker colors such as brown or olive green. Legg lake pan fishing can be a challenge but its defiantly fun hopefully ill see you out there soon
    Legg lake is definitely one of the few local park lakes which produces nice size panfish.
    Hit me up if you go there fly fishing those gills. Although I just got my fly rod today but Legg will always be my first choice for blue gills.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Good report,actually Legg Lake gets checked by DFG pretty regularly,so if people were keeping more than they should,hopefully they will get caught,last week I saw a guy snagging there,now thats really bogus,and he was walking around acting like he was a legit bass fisherman,but as I watched you could see him cast far and then wind a couple of times and then just rip it,as he was walking by I could see a sinker and a couple of trebles above it,wish the dfg was there that day.He might have been trying for carp,but I feel sorry for any bass that got in the way.

Cya Tuna Vic
    Thanks Tuna Vic! It's good to know DFG has a presence there. I remember fishing the Legg as a kid and I know those 3 lakes could produce some good fishing. I remember there used to be a bunch of bluegill in the shallows back in the days, didn't seem to be the same now though and it's too bad. But much like you said, hopefully the people that don't follow the rules will get caught. Saw that carp you caught there too, NICE! Good fishing man, hope to see you there sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Thisfool View Post

Thanks Thisfool! I've always wanted to try fly fishing but never gave it a shot. After reading all the tenkara and fly fishing reports from others on the site, I'm thinking I might have to find an inexpensive fly rod and finally try it out! Seems like Legg and the Pudd are good place to learn too, a lot of open spaces and a decent variety of panfish. It would be cool to fish with some of the guys from the site and learn some stuff.

Lol.my buddy and his brother were the guys u saw using the trout bait...lol once i told them about the cats he went back three days in a row!!

Quote Originally Posted by bassfishing24/7 View Post
    Lol.my buddy and his brother were the guys u saw using the trout bait...lol once i told them about the cats he went back three days in a row!!
    Ha, ha! Yeah, all those guys were cool as hell. They were offering up whatever they had, bait, rods, whatever. Real cool of them. They had that spot dialed. It seemed like they hooked up as soon as the bait hit the water!