Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trout bite at night?

Quote Originally Posted by white belt View Post
    Trout daddy (sis) what do you usually use for bait?
    Sorry, I missed this and it looks like I'm too late to help, but you'll get MUCH better info from smokehound than you would from me. I have no clue what I'm doing. That said, when I night fish SARL I use a Carolina rig with 1/8 oz weight above the swivel, a #10 baithook, and a powermouse type setup. Basically a plastic troutworm, glow in the dark for night-time (they sell them at the store at SARL) and a poweregg (another piece of plastic shaped like a sphere). I think the stuff they sell at the shop is called "nitro eggs" or something though. Just a different brand, still works. I've used both with success. Other people use power bait instead of the plastic egg. I've just found I can re-use the same bait for fish after fish with the full plastic setup. Then I spray it with Bang garlic or dip it in some Bite On garlic.

As far as my awesome fishing technique... I throw it in the water and put my pole in a holder, hang a bobber from a section of line between the eyes as an indicator, and drink beer. Occasionally, as warranted, I drink more beer.

I'd bet as smokehound says you'd have much better luck using a presentation that moves though, since the trout can hone in on that. My method relies entirely on beer and scent, as I'm pretty sure the glowing doesn't really add much.

I like your technique good sir haha

Quote Originally Posted by white belt View Post
    I just noticed im using medium action rods (remember these are just ones i found in the garage). If i got an UL rod, would my chances increase?
    With a light action rod, you'll feel the bites alot better, And the fight of a trout will feel dramatically stronger. UL rods are good when trout are gently mouthing the bait, which is when many anglers fail to detect the bite. Instead of a rod holder, hold it in your hands the whole time, that way you'll never lose a hit.

How long are the rods? I use a 7-ft medium rod myself. Just a cheapo durango rod (though it's great for the money- 7 bucks)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234