Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Niland fishing?

The Highline is good. Finney Raimer has some trees, my kids went to Mulberry School near Weist Lake. The trick is to find shade 110 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc89 View Post
    i would also like to get sum fishing in so i might make a stop at the salton sea to catch sum TOXIC tilapia.
    Bring antibiotics, LOL
    Contaminated Cancer Sea LOL

The good thing about catching Salton Sea Tilapia is that they're already cooked!!! LIMH

Quote Originally Posted by Catsfordays View Post
    Pretty sure you can launch a small boat. Problem is you get some jetskis out there. It's not a large lake and all that racket puts the fish down.
    Cats, thanks might have to give it a try in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by fishchum View Post
    thank you guys.
    i might check out the lake FISHER suggest, i google it on the map and it look like a pretty good size lake.
    we're going to give it a try on wed and shoot thursday.
    thanks again fisher.

Good luck on the Dove hunting not able to go this year, I hunt Delano Ca a little bit cooler less people limit by 8am the latest and back to the motel for poker with my buds..

Quote Originally Posted by Catsfordays View Post
    Pretty sure you can launch a small boat. Problem is you get some jetskis out there. It's not a large lake and all that racket puts the fish down.
    My jet skis always ran awesome there back in the day due to the below sea level elevation. I had to run 50/50 mix of premium 92 and some high octane AVgas to keep from seizing. Haven't been in like 15 years. Is there still a hydrilla problem there? We used to pull out trout, cats and gills with the "racket". Probably aerated that little pond from all the jetwash which made the bite better, imo.

in nialand at the grocery store make a left and head east. when you hit the highland canal you can fish there and dove hunt the same time.

Watch out for Rattle Snakes, they have HUGE ones down there.
    I killed one with 12 rattles and was bigger than a tennis ball round, 7' long about 50 lbs.
    My wife almost stepped on a big one too out by Niland. One day I was mowing my neighbors
    lawn with no catcher. She was gone for the summer and the grass was over a foot tall.
    Had 2 baby Rattlers about 2' go flying out the side of the mower.

Wear Boots in IV lots of mice and rats eat off the farms.
    Big Mule Deer come down to feed on the fields and drink in the canals.
    Usually east of the highline, Mammoth Wash area.
    DR

The Highline is tricky, brother..........you really have to pick a good spot. Last year some time I was hitting the diversion canal with all the drops along Albright Road less than a mile south of Calipatria(do some of you know what I'm talking about???) Anyway, I think it was on the 2nd or third drop stretch where I hooked what must have been a 4 pounder...I had him and as I was trying to land him, he shook too much and went back into the water...I cursed so loud! Anyway, I really recommend those smaller canals...then as the water keeps flowing(west) it gets more and more stained. Fish closer to the rocky area(which is probably about 6 feet of water)

Last Labor Day, I caught an 11-3/4 inch Redear Sunfish. WOW! I took him home and filleted that monster. I love bluegill fishing...ANY GOOD areas around the Highline for good Gills???

Right now, the highline seems more stained/murky than what I'm used to seeing...it's usually VERY clear water...you can see the HUGE grass carp, and gills and bass swimming around...maybe it'll settle...but it's been like this for quite a few months...ANYBODY else notice???

I know this is far, but it you go all the way down to HWY 98, while following the Highline, you'll reach a "Y" that delivers water to the main HIghline canal....when that particular gate is closed, that few hundred yards of that delivery canal doesn't have flow....it's like backwater or something...anyway, a warden told me that while that gate is closed, the bluegill seem to like it there...and you'll catch your limit...BLUEGILL ARE DELICIOUS!

Check it out!!!

thank you everyone for the advice.
    we had a blast yesterday. after shooting some few birds ( it was a very slow day, 7 birds) we went to soak our fishing line near the power plant.
    all the cat we caught were at least 4+ bound, we both limit out in 3 hours.
    the was fun and exciting.

thanks again everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12