Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Ballona Creek 8/23/2011 New Species!

Default Ballona Creek 8/23/2011 New Species!

I decided to hit up Ballona Creek today to do some recon on a new carp spot. Arrived about 11 and took a quick walk to look for any signs of fish. Didn’t see any signs of carp in the brackish water, but I did notice hundreds of striped mullet darting around everywhere. I even saw a few good sized mullet around 4 or 5 lbs in the mix. I quickly decided that today’s mission was now to CPR a striped mullet.

First I tried various colored t-rigged worms and grubs for nothing. Tried some tubes and zoom flukes flylined for nada. Then I tried a diving rapala and a zara spook for zip. I then tied on a gold kastmaster and started to get some taps at a real slow retrieve. Getting close here I think! I dug into my backpack and found a barbless white roostertail I use for trout. First cast and hookup! I then promptly farm the fish. Ten minutes later and I farmed another one. Stupid barbless hook is not going to make this easy for me. Luckily, not five minutes later and I get slammed on the spinner. This fish starts pulling drag and fighting like you wouldn’t believe! I quickly landed it, took some photos, and back in she went. One of the hardest fighting fish I’ve ever caught, I was very surprised.

Does anyone have any info on alternative ways of catching these mullet? From what I’ve read, they are vegetarians and don’t eat lures or even bait. That info is obviously not accurate, as I was getting plenty of short bites and could see lots of followers and flashes on my lure.

Also, I don’t recommend eating anything from this area. There was recently a die-off of ducks on this creek due to botulism. I even saw a couple of dead mallards myself yesterday. Catch and release is the only way to go.

Tight lines

Man I hope you washed your hands, reel, rod, and a re-spool after fishing in there. Great story though, way to get them to bite.

Very cool report, Mullets on a Roostertail! I don't think I would take the chance of fishing that creek with the possibility of getting Botulism. Interesting history on Ballona creek as well.

I see tons of Mullets when I bike the SGR bike trail. I have tried fishing for them as well, but can never hook one. I wonder if a green wooly bugger would work? Cool report BTW.

They usually strike out of curiosity, rather than hunger.. The bigger ones will sometimes strike a lure out of aggression. very aggressive fish. I've seen small shoals of them nipping at baybass.

Try using small pieces of potato for them or if you can, get your hands on some moss.