Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Salton Sea

I agree that people shouldn't fish the New River, if that's what you're reffering to, or the Alamo(even though plenty of people do).

I've seen signs in Calexico about he New River stating the adverse health effects one can suffer...border patrol will let the illegals float on their way to California, but they won't go in and snath them. Researshers wear all sorts of protection gear when taking samples of New River water in Calexico.

the only "high" chemical I have seen at the salton sea is selenium, which is naturally occuring too, other than the salt of course. You would think that if the sea was really unsafe to fish, the state wouldhave said something by now. They closed alondra park last year to do additional tests, and the beach closes down if there are sewage issues, they could do the same with the salton sea.

all I am saying, I have never gone there because its too far

-bb

Quote Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
    the only "high" chemical I have seen at the salton sea is selenium, which is naturally occuring too, other than the salt of course. You would think that if the sea was really unsafe to fish, the state wouldhave said something by now. They closed alondra park last year to do additional tests, and the beach closes down if there are sewage issues, they could do the same with the salton sea.

all I am saying, I have never gone there because its too far

-bb
    I have always thought the Salton Sea was too polluted to take fish from, but the rangers working at the lake swear the fish are OK. The huge die offs of Tilapia occur in the winter when the water gets too cold for them. They are not dying because the water is bad. In the end it's all a matter of what you choose to believe, but I don't think the park rangers would say the fish are good if they were dangerous to eat. Besides, looks like some great fishing there if you can handle the heat, and brother, it does get hot.

SALTON SEA FISHING SUITS (Now Availible with AC)

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Mannnnnnnn, Dockrat...no, no, no...you got it wrong...Check this out-when the new river crosses the border into Calexico, the New River is VERY bad with lots of contaminants, raw sewage, diseases, etc. BUT, as it travels north, into the Imperial Wetlands, so much of these heavy metals settle into the sediment, in serpentine(zig zag)ponds...by then, not only the metals but other contaminants are absorbed by the vegetation in and around the wetlands. When the water comes out of the wetlands and travels further north, the water is 95%(more or less cleaner....there are so many factors at work to clean the water---sunlight-----the river has a way of cleaning itself as it moves(north) I've spoken to people about it, I've done research...and yes the first thing you hear about the New River is that it's extremely bad but when it reaches the delta(into the Salton Sea)it's practically the same as the Alamo(right next door)

There's absolutely nothing in the Salton Sea that will harm you...no elevated levels any kind of contaminants. I advise to not swim near drain pipes going to the Sea because the dilution process of the phosphates has not quite started.
    I think you guys need to study the New River.

The water after Brawley and the other river cleansing areas you talk about
    IS STILL TOTALLY FRICKEN NASTY !!! Get a clue. Go to the New River and look and smell it.

Use the Tilapia for Fish Meal Fertilizer.

the water is 95%(more or less cleaner....there are so many factors at work to clean the water--

Dreams die fast and hard in the desert, and the Salton Riviera was no exception. The sea itself, with its fluctuating shoreline and creeping salinity, had by 1964 turned into a cruel mirage. Things only got worse in the 1970s. It's hard to sell waterfront lots when dead fish carpet the shore and rotting algal blooms raise a stench vile enough to keep people indoors miles away. The final blow came in 1986 when 60 Minutes declared the New River—which brings in a third of the sea's inflows along with remnants of sewage from nearly a million residents of Mexicali—the most polluted river in the world.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0502/feature5/fulltext.html

Even 60 minutes declared the New River ' Most Polluted River in the World'

The Sea has no outlet. It is a Sump that has collected POLLUTION FROM MEXICO FOR 50 + YEARS

Even in Brawley the odor makes you almost barf.

Now they have a few marsh basins and you think it is safe. LMAO
    It's like talking to 3rd graders.

You guys think you discovered some great clean fishery. LMAO
    People have been avoiding the Sea for 30 years.

Document title
    Contaminants in tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) from the Salton Sea, California, in relation to human health, piscivorous birds and fish meal production
    Author(s)
    MOREAU Marie F.
    Author(s) Affiliation(s)
    (1) Department of Biology and Center for Inland Waters, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-4614, ETATS-UNIS
    (2) Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-4162, ETATS-UNIS
    (3) California Department of Fish and Game, Fish and Wildlife Water Pollution Control Laboratory, 2005 Nimbus Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670, ETATS-UNIS
    (4) Frontier Geosciences Inc., 414 Pontius Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109, ETATS-UNIS

Abstract
    A summary of all existing information collected since 1980 on contaminants in tilapia from the Salton Sea is presented and risks to humans and fish-eating birds assessed. Of the 17 trace elements, 42 organic pesticides and 48 polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) analyzed in tilapia whole body and fillet samples, only selenium (Se), arsenic (As) and possibly dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDE) were found at levels high enough to be of concern for fish, birds or humans. Average current concentration of arsenic (As) was 0.7 μg g-1 wet weight (ww) in whole body samples and 1.2 μg g-1 ww in fillet samples, or 2.8 and 5.7 μg g-1 dry weight (dw), respectively. Inorganic As averaged 0.006 μg g-1 ww (0.03 μg g-1 dw) in fillet samples, which represented 0.3% of total As.

By U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S.EPA) guidelines, As levels in tilapia pose no threat of non-cancerous adverse health effects in children and adults.

Average current Se concentration was 2.2 μg g-1 ww in tilapia whole body samples and 1.9 μg g-1 ww in fillet (8.3 and 9 μg g-1 dw, respectively). Consumption of Se-contaminated tilapia was found to present no unacceptable risk for adverse health effects for adults consuming up to 1000 g (35 oz) of fillet per week even when additional intakes of Se from other food items were taken into account. Similarly, children weighing 30 kg or more could safely eat up to 430 g (15 oz) of tilapia fillet on a weekly basis. A health advisory issued by the State of California in 1986 recommended, on the basis of Se levels, that consumption of any fish from the Salton Sea be limited to 114 g (4 oz) every 2 weeks, but the rationale and calculations on which that advisory was based are unavailable.

We suggest that the existing health advisory for Salton Sea tilapia be revised by the state in light of this new information and updated risk parameters for As and Se. Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDE) was detected in all samples of tilapia, with current levels averaging 0.085 μg g-1 in whole tilapia and 0.032 μg g-1 in fillet ww. Compared to screening values proposed by the U.S. EPA, these concentrations are unlikely to cause non-cancerous health effects in anglers,

but one might exceed a 1 x 10-5 increase in cancer risk by consuming more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. Similarly, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were detected in tilapia fillets at levels that may increase the cancer risk for those anglers also eating more than 4 meals of tilapia per week. These determinations are based, however, on DDE concentrations reported from a small sample size (n = 4), and on screening values recommended by U.S.EPA.

DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    ...polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were detected in tilapia fillets at levels that may increase the cancer risk for those anglers also eating more than 4 meals of tilapia per week.
    Sweet. I'll keep it near 3.5 meals then!

Geez Dockrat!!! You're pretty damn aggressive, wanting to get your info out. We're not in a courtroom here, brother!

I remember hearing about those so-many-ounces-of-fish-per-week reports a while back...I'm with you Darkshadow...3.5 it is!!!

I heard the bigger the font you use the more truthful what you are typing is.

Fish until we die, right guys? lol you guys are just... something.

Hm..wasn't that article published back in 2005? That's 6 years ago. By the way, too many info being fed to the public about the New River. What's the info on the Salton Sea? Until people start to go into more details about the Salton Sea itself, rather than the nasty rivers that feed into it, I can then truly take the words of the odd labs producing the info. US EPA contracted half baked labs to do their sampling, as well as grad students from universities. I was a researching students at the bio and chem labs at UCR as well, or better yet, lab assistant at the private labs (can't mention the name since I'm under agreement) that do half baked jobs, and it is one of the largest lab in California.

If you like to compare orange to orange, and apple to apple, let's do this:

1. L.A. streams tributaries that feed to the primary flood channel, which drained from the local basins throughout the Cities, and feed directly to the wetland which connects directly to the Paficic Ocean along the Interstate Highway 1, or known as Pacific Highway. Have you read the reports from 2009 to 2011? You might want to think twice.

2. San Diego harbors and Depart of Defense bases discharge excessive pollutant loads that far exceed the New River in heavy metals, chemical agents, and underground leechates that far exceed US EPA drinking water standards by 3000 folds.

Guess what? We're swimming in the water, and drinking the same water, that we're living in..sooooo..not too new there.

How about air quality? Want a nice lecture? okay..okay..like I have warn so many people before..use sound judgments when eating the fishes folks.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast