Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Dana Point Harbor Jetty

Default Dana Point Harbor Jetty

Got there about 8pm, Started out very well. I landed a small round sting ray (My first Stingray!), and my dad hooked into a Very large Bat ray but the line snapped. Didn't hook up after this. We used Squid and Mac fillets for bait.
    The group next to my dad and I were catching sharks and rays left and right, they were using whole squid.
    My ray and I

My Ray

Good job but you should not hold Round Rays. Round Rays have the stinger at the end of the tail between the 2 skin flaps.
    Your lucky you didn't get hit. The poison wil burn bad for a few hours.
    Got hit in the finger and had a 1/8" piece
    of stinger in my finger for 3 months.
    Best to lay them down and step on the tail (with shoes) then unhook and then flip back in the water with the rod butt.

Watch this video.

DR

I saw that video a few months ago, The 2nd picture is the first picture I took. I looked at the tail just to see how big the Barb was, and noticed it was gone. I guess he already got something.
    But thanks for the warning!
    Last edited by reptile dude007; 07-03-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Either way i would keep my hands off those suckers! Especially out of the water off Doheny!

<><
    KP

Good job with Pops!
    Robert
    <><