Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Good croaker action in Long Beach this morning.

Default Good croaker action in Long Beach this morning.

When out at 9:00, planned on getting in a quick two hours, next thing I know it’s almost 1:00. Good fishing walking the shoreline in Belmont Shores with the flyrod.

• Temple Forks Outfitters 8-weight Ticr-X
    • Rio Outbound Short Intermediate line
    • About a 10-foot leader with the last 3 feet being 6-pound Maxima
    • Clouser flies on #6 hook, three different color schemes, didn’t seem to matter

Got into two different YFC holes about 100 yards apart from each other, one of them was in a trench that was a very short cast from dry sand. These fish are great on the flyrod, real hard pullers, nice strong fat foot-longers. Conditions were calm and serene, no waves or wind to speak of, and I was south of the pier where there are usually shorebreakers.

That guy in the float tube was doing the spin-fish-jigging thing and he was doing well too. Three times when I glanced at him he had fish on. My count:

• 6 YFC
    • 2 Pancake-buts
    • 1 Queenfish

…landed, plus at least a half-dozen other hookups including the fish of the day which broke my heart when he came unbuttoned. (Something heavy with big headshakes. He surfaced once, quickly, I thought I flashed on a monster sandbass but he could have been a legal halibut in camo mode. I had to hand-strip him because he made the first run towards the beach, then I lost him on the subsequent run out when the fly pulled out. Wasn’t hooked great I guess, I probably applied to much pressure on the run, and I use barbless hooks).

Last edited by SeapointFlyGuy; 06-13-2011 at 07:14 PM.

The old Fly rod gets em every time. I've done it a few times myself in the salt but have never given it the time needed to get good.
    Thanks for the report. Now put some barbs on and show us a huge legal soon.

Sounds like a fun day, Congrats! thanks for the report

Very nice... too bad about the one that came unbuttoned, sounded like a Flat one to me.
    Lots of fun bringing in that legal on the fly gear, exhilarating.
    Been too long since I picked up my fly rod and hit the surf.

Great report, amazing fish. Hopefully next time you can land the big one!

I've been wanting to get out in the surf with a flyrod. Tied up a few clousers and surf bugs, but havent made it out yet. this report has me determined to get out there now :)

It's always cool to watch people fly fish the surf. Tried it a few times, but it always ended in frustration. LOL Nice going out there.

Cool Fly Report FLYGUY!!!
    Robert
    <><