Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Throw back the Whitefish!

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
    It probably tasted bad because it wasn't cleaned on the boat. Fish will go bad fast if they're not cleaned as soon as possible after they die. The food in their stomachs, the blood in their systems and other bodily fluids sitting on an all day boat without refrigeration to slow down all the bacteria? Have your fish cleaned on the boat. It will always be fresh and tasty when you get home. Whitefish is some of the best tasting fish I've ever had.
    Has nothing to do with that. Think about it this fish went into a fish hold not a gunny sack. Oh and for fun I also stomach pumped the thing and found that it had several squids in its gut.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHINGBEE View Post
    fillet the fish gut and scale yuk
    LOL a few bones and skin too much for you? Nah, a whole fish is just as good as a filet especially when the skin is a little fried it has a chewy gummy taste to it.

I live here on Catalina Island, and have eaten plenty of white fish caught here. Never had a bitter tasting one. Sounds like you just got a bad one. Give 'er another try if you get a chance. It's a pretty good eating fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina CD View Post
    I live here on Catalina Island, and have eaten plenty of white fish caught here. Never had a bitter tasting one. Sounds like you just got a bad one. Give 'er another try if you get a chance. It's a pretty good eating fish.
    I'll definitely still eat Whitefish just not the ones from SCI or Channel Islands.

I never ate whitefish till I came west but I love it as long as you don't eat close to the skin ,very fishy,I agree ,,try it again

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    LOL a few bones and skin too much for you? Nah, a whole fish is just as good as a filet especially when the skin is a little fried it has a chewy gummy taste to it.
    Thats what you want is bones, gummy chewy skin then i dont see how biter fish bothers you. Totally digusting. I would never eat a fish that was rotting in my fridge. When i go rockfishing i do not have them seperate whitefish rockfish fillets. Its all the same. Still fry a fillet with the skin on deboned ready to be eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHINGBEE View Post
    Thats what you want is bones, gummy chewy skin then i dont see how biter fish bothers you. Totally digusting. I would never eat a fish that was rotting in my fridge. When i go rockfishing i do not have them seperate whitefish rockfish fillets. Its all the same. Still fry a fillet with the skin on deboned ready to be eaten.
    Lol bitter taste and fish skin are two different things. Disgusting? I don't know perhaps everyone has different likings for fish. I just like mine with skin. Most of the time I will fry my fish, but this was one of the rare cases when I boiled it. Eh, I don't see how my week old whitefish, which was also in a working fish hold, is any less fresh that one from a gunny sack sitting in the sun all day.
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 06-01-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123