Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: yellowtail fishing

Here ya go dude. Today's total from all landings. 560 anglers and a whopping 2 yt caught.

976-TUNA Landing Counts
    Daily Wrapup Boats Anglers Fish
    All Landings 29 560
    2 Yellowtail 3 Halibut 12 Calico Bass 1 Sand Bass 16 Barracuda 12 Sheephead 19 Whitefish 179 Bocaccio 1913 Rockfish 8 Lingcod 540 Sculpin 11 Perch 165 Sand Dab 256 Red Snapper 1 Cabazon
    Point Loma 1 17
    85 Rockfish 1 Lingcod 3 Sculpin
    H&M Landing 4 80
    1 Yellowtail 1 Calico Bass 4 Sheephead 268 Rockfish 1 Lingcod 17 Sculpin
    Seaforth 4 93
    1 Yellowtail 1 Halibut 6 Calico Bass 16 Barracuda 1 Sheephead 345 Rockfish 2 Lingcod 5 Red Snapper
    Dana Wharf 2 60
    2 Calico Bass 29 Rockfish 6 Sculpin 6 Perch 165 Sand Dab 3 Red Snapper
    Davey's Locker 2 25
    3 Calico Bass 4 Sheephead 1 Whitefish 29 Bocaccio 164 Rockfish 10 Sculpin 5 Perch 61 Red

Quote Originally Posted by jsl View Post
    Here ya go dude. Today's total from all landings. 560 anglers and a whopping 2 yt caught.

976-TUNA Landing Counts
    Daily Wrapup Boats Anglers Fish
    All Landings 29 560
    2 Yellowtail 3 Halibut 12 Calico Bass 1 Sand Bass 16 Barracuda 12 Sheephead 19 Whitefish 179 Bocaccio 1913 Rockfish 8 Lingcod 540 Sculpin 11 Perch 165 Sand Dab 256 Red Snapper 1 Cabazon
    Point Loma 1 17
    85 Rockfish 1 Lingcod 3 Sculpin
    H&M Landing 4 80
    1 Yellowtail 1 Calico Bass 4 Sheephead 268 Rockfish 1 Lingcod 17 Sculpin
    Seaforth 4 93
    1 Yellowtail 1 Halibut 6 Calico Bass 16 Barracuda 1 Sheephead 345 Rockfish 2 Lingcod 5 Red Snapper
    Dana Wharf 2 60
    2 Calico Bass 29 Rockfish 6 Sculpin 6 Perch 165 Sand Dab 3 Red Snapper
    Davey's Locker 2 25
    3 Calico Bass 4 Sheephead 1 Whitefish 29 Bocaccio 164 Rockfish 10 Sculpin 5 Perch 61 Red
    ya i know its crapy rite now but ima keep checkin the reports and wen there really catching them ill go

I would go 20 lb and 40 lb. I usually fish 20 lb with live bait local but if some bruisers show you want 40.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    I would go 20 lb and 40 lb. I usually fish 20 lb with live bait local but if some bruisers show you want 40.
    DR
    ya. but 40# for live bait? or for jigs?

Quote Originally Posted by mjc89 View Post
    40lb is good for jigs .
    Allthough , if your fishing live bait and the fish are eat'en 40lb ... well use 40lb lol .

I think you have to learn how to match your line & hook size ,to the size of bait.

Small bait(anchovies) = lighter line .... 15/20/25 lb - flyliner hooks sizes ... 4,2 & 1/0
    Larger bait(sardines,squid,macks) = heavier line ... 25/30/40 lb ... hooks sizes 1/0 to 5/0

You want your bait to be able to swim like Michael Phelps lol .

But most important when fishing Yellowtail or Tuna
    practice setting your drag with a spring scale .
    Set at 1/4 the line rating ... for example , for 20lb set at 5lbs of drag.
    Also chose a knot , and practice tying at home until mastered.

Good Luck bro ...
    Last edited by Newfishsmell; 04-29-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfishsmell View Post
    40lb is good for jigs .
    Allthough , if your fishing live bait and the fish are eat'en 40lb ... well use 40lb lol .

I think you have to learn how to match your line & hook size ,to the size of bait.

Small bait(anchovies) = lighter line .... 15/20/25 lb - flyliner hooks sizes ... 4,2 & 1/0
    Larger bait(sardines,squid,macks) = heavier line ... 25/30/40 lb ... hooks sizes 1/0 to 5/0

You want your bait to be able to swim like Michael Phelps lol .

But most important when fishing Yellowtail or Tuna
    practice setting your drag with a spring scale .
    Set at 1/4 the line rating ... for example , for 20lb set at 5lbs of drag.
    Also chose a knot , and practice tying at home until mastered.

Good Luck bro ...
    thanks for the info dude

Quote Originally Posted by mjc89 View Post
    40 is not too big for bait. You want to fish lighter but if bigger fish come through you want to have the option to step up.

Most guys with a kelp cutter rig run 50 lb + Braid with 50 lb Flouro leader fishing bait.
    Yellowtail run for rock pinnicles or kelp to bust you off. Those guys at La Jolla use kelp cutter rigs on YT and WSB also. With the braid you can put the screws to them and saw through the kelp

You have to keep in mind how much smaller diameter braid line is.
    I just spooled my trout reel with 15 lb Braid that is the same diameter as 4 lb.

Lots of guys are running 65 lb Braid for kelp cutter rigs.

Read some Dave Hansen or Brandon Hayward stories.

http://www.yoursaltwaterguide.com/

I got a call from John Bretza from OKUMA and he asked me if I wanted to go out fishing with him, Brandon Cotton, also from OKUMA, Brandon Hayward & Mike Vaughn from WON. We wanted to target White Sea Bass on the coast. My client for that day had to cancel so I was IN! Not knowing much about catching White Sea Bass, I thought it would be good to tag-a-long and see how the experts do it (and yes, they took me to school).

We were fishing in the kelp at a “secret” spot. John and both Brandons had their new Cedros Star Drag CSD10s reels filled with 60 lbs spectra with a 50 lbs flourcarbon leader, 6/0 long shank bronze hook, with a 1 oz sliding egg sinker.

Now this is some of the most violent fishing I have seen since the days of fishing the yellows at the rigs, or the big home guard yellows on the Cortez back in the late 70′s. Back in the days of the big home guard yellows or the yellows at the rigs, we fished them using 6/0 Penns with a hammered down drag and 80 lbs mono & a live mackeral. This type of fishing for White Sea Bass reminded me of that except we were in the middle of kelp, using spectra that doesn’t stretch and fresh dead squid. When this fish hits you you have to apply pressure like I’ve never done before. You have to cut the kelp with the pressure put between the fish and the rod. As the kelp is cut is seems as though you’ve lost the fish. I could go on and on about this technique for hours but I think the best way thing is to get out there and just do it. Bottom line…we fished for about 5 hours. Brandon Cotton got a 55 lbs fish. Brandon Hayward got a 45 lbs fish and John Bretza got himself a 42 lbs fish. Total White Sea Bass for Capt. Dave Hansen…ZERO. I was hoping for a hand-off but those guys were pretty darn selfish.

for sure man. thanks again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123