Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where will you be for the Sierra opener?

Ill be at Bridgeport Reservoir, hopefully tubing.

I'll be at PVR on Thursday and Friday. Then friday night drive up to Twin Lakes for the opener..

Hello All!

I usually don't head up for the actual opener because the ice makes our options limited. Our opener trip is usually towards the middle to late May. Here's our fishing trip itinerary...

Base Camp - Mammoth (Centralized location)

Head out Thursday evening and arrive into Bishop hopefully by 2:00 - 3:00 am. Catch a few hours of zzzz's in the car before heading up the mountains to the Bishop Drainage.

Arrive to Intake 2 for a few hours of some float tubing action.
    Make our way to North Lake for a few more hours of float tubing.
    Hit up some spots along Bishop Creek before heading back into town for lunch.
    Drive to Mammoth to check in and unload.
    Hit up the Upper Owens river for a few hours before the evening bite.
    Float Tube Convict Lake until an hour after sun down
    Sleep....
    Wake up early and make the drive to Virginia Lake(s) for some more float tubing.
    Start heading back towards Mammoth in the afternoon and either hit Rush Creek or Gull Lake in the June loop.
    Try to make is back in time to tube one of the Mammoth Lakes for the evening bite.
    Sleep....
    Wake up early and head to Crowley Lake for one last float tube session.

Get back to Bishop for some lunch and to buy some 'Cowboy' jerkey at Mahogany's!!!! As you can tell, we try to cover and hit a lot different spots in 2.5 days. Kind of hectic but well worth it. Just thinking and talking about our trip isn't making it come any faster! =)

Tight Lines!

I'm another who avoids the Opener and its crowds, but I understand the social and cameraderie motives behind the annual pilgrimage. Enjoy, y'all!

I'll be varmint hunting in northern NV during opening weekend. We gotta drive through Bishop/395 on Friday to get there, so save us some gas at a cheap station. :-)

I might head to Twin Lakes during the week following the Opener, but I did that last year and water temps ranges from 40*-42* for three days. The fish were not real active, even under the thermocline. But I miss fishing, and might go anyway if the weather behaves reasonably.
    Last edited by flytyingreloader; 04-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Just a few more days left! Woohoo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    Just a few more days left! Woohoo!!!!!
    Got propane yesterday for the 80,000 BTU catalytic heater. That will keep the chill off the fingers as we freeze our asses off at Intake II.

My daughter has a softball game on Thurday, so I will be under the gun to get everything ready. Not having enough time to prepare always makes the last few days fly by.
    I dont recommend that to everyone, but poor planning makes time fly by.

The worst thing is that the A/C went out of the van. STill under warranty but I dont have time to take it to the dealer. The drive through the owens valley will be warm on Friday.

Twenty-five Sacramento perch per day. The Eastern Sierra Fishing Guide says there is no limit, but that is incorrect. All panfish is 25 per day, whether it is bluegill, crappies, pumpkinseed, etc. All one species or in in combo.

Quote Originally Posted by paintsn View Post
    this will be my first opener.. .. always been there earlier and later but hope to make it a religion.

Im still reading and indulging much on what is posted past and present about how it is up there. .. as of now im choosing convict to be my choice of wetting my line.. after the sunrise and after 12:01hrs correct?

but how is Intake II, i see they stocking this week, will it be accessible?

and another NOOB question is.. is there a bag limit for Sac Perch?... not like i will catch any..hahahha but hope to.
    Twenty-five Sacramento perch per day. The Eastern Sierra Fishing Guide says there is no limit, but that is incorrect. All panfish is 25 per day, whether it is bluegill, crappies, pumpkinseed, etc. All one species or in in combo.

Heck plans changed since both "buddies" who are suppose to ride with me flaked out, valid reasons though one of the reasons though has to do with Vegas so it looks like the family and I are heading out as soon as the kids get out of school eating dinner somewhere up there maybe Tom's place, go kill some time and then sit in line at convict way early to get a good spot. Fish till 2 or 3pm then turn around and head back, wife has to work on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by RTG View Post
    Thank you for the reply.. never caught that much before in a day or a week's trip.. but it sure is great to know the laws of the locals. I have been reading as much as i can.. i a sure love being up there and further.

hope i could make it up there this friday.. mom's sciatic nerve maybe in the way

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast