Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DFG at Newport Pier

Default DFG at Newport Pier

So I decide to hit up Newport Pier Saturday Night 10-16 for a little chill time and do a little fishing and hooping. I arrive at 10:00p.m. to find the usually crowded pier with plenty of open space to drop a line. The air was about 62 out so not too cold but it was drizzling so this probably kept the crowds away. Shortly after dropping a line and a hoop net in a DFG warden came strolling through with a service dog. In my many trips to this pier I think it has probably been 5 years since I have seen a warden out there.
    He was checking everyone's catches and especially looking for hoopers fishing lobster without a report card. I had mine so no worries and I told him that it was refreshing to see him out there and he said that is not the usual response he gets Ha Ha Ha. Not sure if anyone got busted poaching but at least he made his presence known. I didn't catch anything picture worthy this time out just a couple thornbacks and some small rock crabs in the net but relaxing none the less.

good to see hear they are out there checking. it is a refreshing feeling, i agree. to many times have i seen people doing illegal stuff or fishing without license...etc...im not one to go tell on them or tell them to stop doing what they are doing wrong, so i just leave it as it is. i believe in karma and will keep to myself. they're wronging doing will catch up with them eventually.

It's great to hear about DFG making their rounds. They've definitely made their precense known with the beginning of lobster season, I just wish there were more wardens to go around.

Nice try down at Newport, it's a nice pier and like you said, it's very relaxing. How was the mackerel bite?

Thanks for the report 5150.
    I keep the DFG # in my phone.
    Robert

I wasn't fishing for macks but those that were had decent quantities on sabiki's.

That's awesome. The last time i saw a warden on the pier was about.. three years ago?

He busted a few people with over-limits on YFC and BSP.

Dude i was out there that night too.... But i got the major skunk. In the morning i caught a small bass and star fish off a dock near the jettie

Alright the DFG has finally checked some heavily poached spots. Now if they can only go to Long Beach.

Hopefully some day I'll be a Warden, I'll be glad to serve.

Wonder what the service dog was for? Were they looking for bugs-of-mass-destruction or bug smugglers?

TS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast