Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sturgeon Fishing Tips

Default Sturgeon Fishing Tips

Ive never fished for Sturgeon or caught one. Does anyone have any tips they would like to share like, best time to fish for them, best baits to use, best spots to try, and anything else youd like to share. I plan on going Thurs, Im hoping to catch my 1st one.

TaperSteve

My only sturgeon was an incidental catch at SARL years ago when they first planted them. It was caught on my beloved half-crawler, blown up and fished Carolina-style 16 inches off the bottom. I have not caught one since.
    I ran across an article somewhere, can't even remember where, that said sturgeon are suckers for rollmops. I don't kow if it's true, but I will try it and find out.
    Now, when you Google a rollmop, don't be surprised because it makes perfect sense when you consider what they are naturally attracted to.

When fishing them in the wild, we would use live shrimp. Ghost, Grass or Mud shrimp will all work. Frozen eel is also used by many anglers when targeting Dinos. Good luck out there, and let us know how you do.

I caught one at corona last year, i was using power bait.lol but they usually go for chicken liver,night crawlers,shrimp,and maybe mackarel.