Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Swim-bait questions?

Default Swim-bait questions?

What type of line should be used when throwing 8" Trout Swim-bait? Braid / Mono? And at what weight rating? I'm using a rather small reel (Abu Garcia 5500 C3) so I thought that braid might be the way to go, but I figured I'd ask those which have experience in this field of angling. I've once before tried to throw a $10 Castaic trout from Walmart and on my first cast I got backlash and it snapped off in mid-air, I was using 20lb mono. I was told that 20lb was what would get bit most but is that true in comparison to 30lb or heavier? Does anybody use Braid when fishing large swim-baits?

I appreciate the help!

DEADROOTS-

I use 50# braid to a 25# fluoro leader for the big baits 8 in and up everything else 15# - 17# straight fluoro. Most likely your line snapped from the force of the cast then the sudden stop of the backlash . 20# should be plenty to handle those baits . Its just a matter of preference as far as what line you like to use,just remember swimbait fishing is expensive fishing because those lures are not cheap so dont be afraid to spend a little extra on line or lines and dont be afraid to experiment with different lines if you can.what kind of rod are you using? losing baits is part of the deal, so the fact that lost a $10swimmie from walmart is nt too bad imagine losing a Hudd, BBZ 1, or Punker that would sting a little but yo have to keep chucking! Good luck

BassinChef
    Last edited by BassinChef; 03-06-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: my spelling

20 lb big game for most stuff 25 big game for the big stuff over 10 inches make sure u clinch your knots down good with the bigger line thats why u probably snapped

55ooC3 is a great reel,,,,,,,,,Use 50lb braid,,,,no leader with any kind of floater,,,,35lb flouro leader with all sinkers,,THE KNOT BETWEEN YOUR BRAID AND FLOURO IS MOST CRITICAL,,,some use a swivel there some dont,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BassinChef View Post
    I use 50# braid to a 25# fluoro leader for the big baits 8 in and up everything else 15# - 17# straight fluoro. Most likely your line snapped from the force of the cast then the sudden stop of the backlash . 20# should be plenty to handle those baits . Its just a matter of preference as far as what line you like to use,just remember swimbait fishing is expensive fishing because those lures are not cheap so dont be afraid to spend a little extra on line or lines and dont be afraid to experiment with different lines if you can.what kind of rod are you using? losing baits is part of the deal, so the fact that lost a $10swimmie from walmart is nt too bad imagine losing a Hudd, BBZ 1, or Punker that would sting a little but yo have to keep chucking! Good luck

BassinChef
    Im using an 8' med-heavy - fast action - 15-25lb - Shimano Teramar with the Abu 5500 c3. It should be stiff enough right?

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    55ooC3 is a great reel,,,,,,,,,Use 50lb braid,,,,no leader with any kind of floater,,,,35lb flouro leader with all sinkers,,THE KNOT BETWEEN YOUR BRAID AND FLOURO IS MOST CRITICAL,,,some use a swivel there some dont,,,,,
    I've never used braid. What are the differences in these new superlines or Spectra braids? What about some good old Spider-wire? Has anybody figured out anything when experimenting with these lines? Are some better for certain situations than others. Stained or clear water days or even which knots work best when using braided lines? I'd like to raise my odds as much as possible...

By the way, who makes fluorocarbon line in 35lb? I kind of looked around but couldn't find anything over 20 on average. I think stren makes a 30 but that's all I saw..
    Last edited by DEADROOTS; 03-06-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added info

Im using an 8' med-heavy - fast action - 15-25lb - Shimano Teramar with the Abu 5500 c3. It should be stiff enough right?
    Thats Ok for the smaller ones, but I would recommend you get a rod designed for the big boy swimbaits, Okuma 7`11" extra heavy can handle all the big swimmies and its rated for 15-40 lb test and can handle baits from 2-10 oz and and wont break the bank@ $109 then of course there is the Shimano Crucial, GLooomis, Powell, Dobyns rods all great rods but pricier.I have used Power Pro and Spider wire with no problems for fluoro i use Straight Seaguar Invisx or Gamma for the 15-17# set ups,and Spiderwire #50 to seaguar 25# flouro for the big guys as far as knots uni to uni to connect the lines but i sely let the tackle shop handle it. I hope this helps you some buddy goo luck out there.

BassinChef

for topwater like a punker I use straight braid, for 8" sinking swimbaits and larger I use 25 lb basspro xps fluoro and la slider type baits I use braid with a fluoro leader. I dont like using braid with a fluoro leader on larger baits because if you backlash kiss your bait goodbye.

Have any of you guys ever thrown any Tylure custom baits? Do they swim well?

I use 20 lb P-Line Fluoroclear and it was probably your knot that made your caused the line to break when you were using 20 lb line before. I have lost a Hudd before because I didn't tie my knot perfectly and it broke after a few casts. I wouldn't use braid, but that is just me. I would think you would have a higher chance of breaking off on the cast since there is no stretch at all. I forgot to PM you when you left that visitor message! Sorry! I only remember to reply to PMs, haha. I will PM you in a bit.