Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: How Safe is it for Fish When We Catch & Release?

Default How Safe is it for Fish When We Catch & Release?

Well, I'm just sitting here listening to it pour rain and bummed that I got rained out of my fishing trip today--anyway, I was looking at the photos on the Vine site and this kid caught a bass, "fought it hard for 15 minutes", landed it, took a photo, then released it.

I was always taught to play a fish quickly so as not to tire it out too much, then release it as quickly as possible. So what are the odds of a fish surviving a long, drawn out fight and photo op? Or are bass a heartier fish than other fishes?

Just curious...as always...

I'm curious too. Is it true that it is especially hard on striped bass??

Trout Chaser,

There's all kinds of scientific studies about C&R mortality, especially concerning trout on the web.

Lots of obvious factors, but one of the least known has to do with water temperature. Warmer water is a killer for freshwater species across the board (less O2).

I know a catfish can live out of water for a long time....

As long as I dont hook myself its pretty safe :)

Ok humor aside, As long as you don't play the fish and you get it back in the water withing seconds it should be ok. With trout if you can wet your hands, do not grip the little slimey guy too tightly and you do not keep it out of water for too long while fumbling with the camera you should be fine. But when you do put it back in the water, do not do the hail mary and toss it 50 feet, gently place it in running water, trying to cradle the fish so you get water running past it's gills. Remeber fish breath using thier gills. Can you run a 100 meter dash then be asked to hold your breath for 2 minutes?? Catch and release do work but you have to work fast for the fishes sake.

Sean

Thanks guys--but does the same go for bass? Keeping them out of water after lipping them and holding them up to the camera for the photo op keeps them out of the water for longer than seconds. Oh well--I guess we will likely never know, since we can't follow them! Say--now there's a cool topic for Discovery Channel--filming fish being caught, and released, then followed to see how they do.

[funny side story, slightly related to topic: one day fishing with my old pal Rich on Piru Creek I picked up a nice trout and the thing really leaped high out of the water a couple times after I hooked it. I said to Rich, "Man, did you see that guy jump?!" He said, "Yeah, well you'd jump too if you got a hook in your lip!" LOL--gosh I miss that guy--he moved back to Upstate NY where the fishing is literally everywhere you look.]

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Chaser View Post
    Thanks guys--but does the same go for bass? Keeping them out of water after lipping them and holding them up to the camera for the photo op keeps them out of the water for longer than seconds. Oh well--I guess we will likely never know, since we can't follow them! Say--now there's a cool topic for Discovery Channel--filming fish being caught, and released, then followed to see how they do.

[funny side story, slightly related to topic: one day fishing with my old pal Rich on Piru Creek I picked up a nice trout and the thing really leaped high out of the water a couple times after I hooked it. I said to Rich, "Man, did you see that guy jump?!" He said, "Yeah, well you'd jump too if you got a hook in your lip!" LOL--gosh I miss that guy--he moved back to Upstate NY where the fishing is literally everywhere you look.]
    Bass are pretty hardy and can stay out of the water for enough time to weigh and get a picture and still be fine for the release. I try to get them back in the water as soon as I can though. I have never had to revive a fish by running water through its gills since I don't take to long to get them back in the water.

i rarely throw a trout back, unless they are 6 inch stockers, but i dont get the pictures. i assume all you guys fish regularly do you really need to take a picture of a 2 or 3 pound bass. if you are that worried about the mortality rate of c&r then forget the pic and throw the fish back in the water to breathe. if you just a ran a mile and then not able to breathe how long would you last???

9. Default

Guys, looks up the research on tournament mortality rates (especially after big bass tournies). From what I've heard, it's actually pretty good.
    The sooner you bring them in and unhook them, the better off the fish will be.

That being said, it's boring (for me) to fish with uber heavy line and gear, I like the lighter stuff. So, I have to be more careful with the fish I catch, since they will probably be more tired.
    Respect the fish, treat them right and don't chuck them back out into the lake. Look up the how-tos on release steelhead-the guides on that have it down to a science.

Sorry, long rambling post.