Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Tradition New Year's Day Bass Fishing 1/1/10

Default Tradition New Year's Day Bass Fishing 1/1/10

I would like to take this time to wish everyone a very Happy New Year and I hope 2010 brings good happenings to all of you. Anyways, I managed to fish a couple days this week. I’ll give a brief report on Wednesday, and continue on to the New Year’s report.

On Wednesday, we got out with about 15 people, and first thing, headed out to the rockfishing grounds. Rockfishing was pretty slow, so Captain Johnny made a move inside to fish the sand bass. We had a steady pick on the bass as it started to rain. At the last spot of the day, it went wide open … on octopus. The octopuses were so thick that you would drop your bait to the bottom, and slowly wind up, and you were almost guaranteed an octopus every time. For that day, jackpot went to Tradition regular Bill Mozingo with a nice triggerfish!

Today, we also got out with about 15 anglers. Our crew consisted of Captain Johnny Petrov, Casey in the galley, and Morgon on deck. Joining my dad and I today were our friends from Dana Point: Lee, Jeanne, and Roger. My dad and I fished Dana Point for many years, and we’ve known these people for a very long time. We enjoy fishing with them because they are very entertaining. They were especially excited because they’ve wanted to fish these sand bass for quite a while. When my dad and I first started fishing Redondo about a year ago, this so-called “structure fishing” was very foreign to us, and it took some getting used to. With some tips about this kind of fishing, our friends soon got the hang of it.

With rockfishing closed, we had no choice but to go bass fishing, which was perfectly fine with me and everyone else. We headed north a couple hours and stopped. We had to reposition the boat a couple times before we sat on the spot in the correct way, and we started catching fish. We fished this spot for two hours, and caught quite a few bass, but it petered out, and we moved on. En route to the next spot, the wind was steadily increasing. However, we pulled out some more bass out of that spot. Before the day was over, we tried one more spot, which was the best of the day. This spot was great in quality and quantity, as hookups to nice bass to four pounds were constant. You had to be really quick on the draw, or the bass would rock you. If you didn’t keep your leadhead in the structure, you didn’t get a sand bass; however, you would get an occasional calico and a bunch of perch bites.

Jackpot went to Tradition regular Tom with a nice big sand bass. I was the high stick of the day with nine bass. These bass were brutal today; they would rock you faster than you knew it. In addition to the bass, a few bat rays were caught and released. To this fishing, leadhead, squid, and fast reflexes are great necessities that will make you successful in this kind of fishing – the ultimate in finesse fishing. Great times, great fishing!

One more thing: I found out that rockfishing is closed until April 1st, which is the first time that I can remember that happening.

Great Job Getting Out There Jimmy!
    When I got on line and saw the report for The Tradition, I knew you would be posting a report...
    I am looking forward to heading down there again in the near future and getting me some Sandies.

May Your New Year Be A Great One!!
    Robert

great report as usual jimmy see u tomorrow

Nice report Jimmy...thanks homie...

GD

Great report Jimmy, Hey carlos que paso no jackpot? LOL.

nice report jimmy. I gotta get me a trigger this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb View Post
    Great report Jimmy, Hey carlos que paso no jackpot? LOL.
    no hariel no podia ni con la cana andaba bien crudo. hupy new year hariel.

Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

WTG on the great fishing and always surperior report and pics. Regulars really got it dialed in for sure ..... as is often the case.

JapanRon