Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Whats the best all around Yak for Fishing

Default Whats the best all around Yak for Fishing

Looking at the Wildeness and Malibu x factor. Any other boats to look at and any input ??
    What must have gear should I be looking at, fish finder,bait tank etc.

I have a wilderness tarpon 140. Im probably going to be upgrading to a Hobie with pedals. Just makes fishing much easier. You can maneuver around without holdin the paddle. I would demo a few models to see what fits your style. Besides fish finder, you will need rod holders, either flush mount or mounted onto a crate. Bait tanks aren't really necesarry unless you like fishing with bait. I have one and only used it once. I prefer plastics. Good luck.

Hobie Revolution! Buy right first time, never have to trade in!

Default Hobie ,Hobie,Hobie

I've got a Outback I love fishing out of this yak its been really good to me my wife has a Revolution theres been a couple times I wished I had bought a Revo instead who know's maybe someday that'll happen whatever you do just get a Hobie and if your going out in the salt get a Revo or a Adventure.

I've been thinking about yaking also.

After some research based on my stature, fishing style and types of conditions most likely to be encountered, I decided when/if I do purchase one, it would be a Cobra Fish'n Dive XF.

It has one of the widest beams (36") of all size yaks which makes it one of the most stable on the water (one of my most important factors for ocean use). Because of the width, it does not move as well as narrower yaks but if I get one, it would be for fishing the kelp over by Rocky Point and occasionally down to La Jolla kelp beds for summertime 'tails and seabass. It's only 12'6" and 60# which makes it manageable for me (I'm only 5'5").

I'm waiting for the end of summer sales on discontinued colors or used/rentals.

Just my
    LW

Default Sweet !

The Cobra FishNDive and the Malibu X-Factor are very similar, looked @ both before buying 2 Cobra Fish N Dives (a lil less in hull storage access @ the bow). And I LOVE 'EM !! A great paddle will go a long way !!!

I got a 14' Cobra Marauder and a Tarpon 140 which are both great. If you're a big guy(over 210), you probably want a Tarpon 160 or the Cobra Marauder. The Marauder is the Cadillac of the Cobra Lineup. It is 14'3" with a sh$tload of hull space(I got 3 hatches), plenty of room for FF, holder, crates, etc, great, great stability, and is decent on speed. Smoothest paddling kayak I've ever had the pleasure of using. It's rugged as hell and after many drops, it has never dented or gashed. It is covered by the Cobra Lifetime Warranty and they will replace it for free.

That being said, if you want the absolute best, go with a Hobie Pedal Drive. Much more expensive, but worth it IMO. Lots more range and lots quicker, but a bit heavy for its length.

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Looking at the Wildeness and Malibu x factor. Any other boats to look at and any input ??
    What must have gear should I be looking at, fish finder,bait tank etc.
    I first started out with a Wilderness Systems Ride with a rudder. Rudder came in very handy. I really like the way this boat paddled but I wasn't crazy about the lack of speed when I saw someone coming up from behind in a scupper Pro and beating me to shore
    That's when I decided to go with a Malibu Extreme. Even thou the Ex was a faster boat, and had lots more room under the hull to store stuff, it felt like I was paddling a tank. It as heavy in the water.

I would like to see SOT's be made with much lighter material. It's a real pain to drag one of those boats up and down off your car, especially a woman like myself. My gripe was that the plastic SOT's were too heavy and thus it was a whole lot of work just to get to go fishing. This is suppossed to be a fun, relaxing activity but it turned out to be real drudge work.