Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LC 110 or 100?

Default LC 110 or 100?

I am going surf fishing tomorrow and want to know if it matters if I get an LC 100 instead of 110. What you guys prefer? I don't have any 110's at my local Sport Chalet, but they do have a few 100's so I don't want to waste my money on a 100 if it is not going to work. They look very similar, but I still want some more opinions.

Any other cheaper lures that will work well for halibut?

The Flash minnow 110 is the halibut killer. That one lure is responsible for more surf halibut than any other. Just look up Wingnut's reports to see what they do. Dropshotting works too, but the Flash minnow is best overall. Pointer's are all right in certain situations, but the Flash Minnow is a little more versatile.

I've caught plenty of hali's from the surf on the Pointer 100 and I've also used it to catch bonito off the breakwall and cali's in Catalina. It will most definately work but the 110 is more suited for the surf since it runs shallower.
    Last edited by TShaffer; 09-27-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Ok. What do you think about these? I heard that they are pretty good. I also heard that you can take the lip off to work it really shallow.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1_10001_58001
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-27-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Ok. What do you think about these? I heard that they are pretty good.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1_10001_58001
    Most definately pretty good. They have a very nice action and work very well in the surf for halis. Will also catch all the other species LCs catch. But the LC is for sure the better choice but the X-Rap is a cheaper alternative. I caught my first and PB Leo and an X-Rap. I've never tried taking the lip off though.

Meh. Just cough up the extra $5 for a Flash Minnow (4.75in x-rap is $12). The X-Raps do work and have caught legal halibut, but nothing really beats the Flash Minnow. They cast far, wobble at the lowest speeds, are very durable, and catch large numbers of halibut. Give yourself the best chance at hooking a halibut and buy the Flash Minnow 110.

Quote Originally Posted by TShaffer View Post
    Most definately pretty good. They have a very nice action and work very well in the surf for halis. Will also catch all the other species LCs catch. But the LC is for sure the better choice but the X-Rap is a cheaper alternative. I caught my first and PB Leo and an X-Rap. I've never tried taking the lip off though.
    Thanks. I really don't want to spend $15 on a lure and then lose it, lol. Do you recommend that I take the lip off or just leave it on, if I get an X-Rap?

Thanks. I really don't want to spend $15 on a lure and then lose it, lol. Do you recommend that I take the lip off or just leave it on, if I get an X-Rap?
    I never took the lip off mine and to be honest I've never heard of that being done. I guess if you were fishing somewhere with a lost of structure you might want to so that it doesn't get hung up. I don't know if removing the bill will mess it up though.

Both just as good. Personally, I think the 100 will get you more bites. However, the 110 will catch you bigger fish.

The 110 I toss with my baitcaster and the 100 I tend to toss on a light lined spinner.

The choice is yours, but I'd push for the 110 if you can find it.

If you want the best shot at a halibut, buy the Flash Minnow 110. You do get what you pay for with Lucky Crafts. There's no guarantee you'll never lose a lure. It's how you catch any fish. I've busted off probably 7 or 8 Flash Minnows by now, but I've caught a lot of halibut too. The thing is that since Flash minnows dive to about 3ft max, you probably aren't going to lose it unless you snag a rock or a fish (done both).

Don't ever take the lip off either the Flash minnow or X-Rap. It won't dive deep enough at all, or have the correct action for halibut. That guy fishes for sea bass in the UK. Completely different predator than California Halibut.

You'll never toss swimbaits then. Lol, $200 for one lure sometimes, but worth it.
    Last edited by bsp; 09-27-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast