Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Smell

Hey Fire Ball,

Did you sea trial that boat yet? Let us know how the motor turned out and what you ended up having to do to fix it.

Good luck!
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    Hey Fire Ball,

Did you sea trial that boat yet? Let us know how the motor turned out and what you ended up having to do to fix it.

Good luck!
    Kev
    Not yet, I'm going to test it this weekend. My grandpa tried to put in a new ignition in because the key broke off in the ignition, but he can't figure out which wire goes where. Will it have any information on this in the service manual? We ordered on a few days ago. I hope we don't have to pay to get this fixed!

Easiest way is to match the wire colors. They are pretty standard. Compare what color wires the old ignition switch has compared to the new one. If they have the same wire colors, just connect like colors together.

If the new switch has no wires, check for polarity markings on each switch and just make sure positive goes to positive and ground (negative) goes to ground and everything else matches up and you should be ok.

The shop manual may or may not have wiring diagrams for the ignition. I'm not at home to check any of mine to see if they have that info. Anyone else know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    Easiest way is to match the wire colors. They are pretty standard. Compare what color wires the old ignition switch has compared to the new one. If they have the same wire colors, just connect like colors together.

If the new switch has no wires, check for polarity markings on each switch and just make sure positive goes to positive and ground (negative) goes to ground and everything else matches up and you should be ok.

The shop manual may or may not have wiring diagrams for the ignition. I'm not at home to check any of mine to see if they have that info. Anyone else know?
    Some of the colors match, but others don't match. So you are saying that it doesn't matter as long as negative goes to negative and positive goes to positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Some of the colors match, but others don't match. So you are saying that it doesn't matter as long as negative goes to negative and positive goes to positive?
    be careful of how you connect it though.
    A guy put in a new ignition "professionally" done on a 40hp suzuki i had... well long story short, the wiring caused a short in the engine...it overheated, burned the stator and melted a coil... but if an engine overheats, you have to manually cool down the engine... I used a shirt,dipped it in cold water in a cooler and rubbed it on vital parts of the engine before anymore damage,like the whole block,powerhead and heads.... resulted....in me selling it... it still had great compression and no bearings were shot,,,thankfully next owner spent only $300 in fixing it to a great running condition,,,lol,,,

If you're not sure about the colors and the hookup, your best best is to google for wiring schematics online. It quite likely it's the same wiring for a car ignition switch.

Someone somewhere will have a diagram for you. Don't guess at it. If the new ignition switch comes in a box or a blister pack it should come with a wiring diagram. Better yet, ask the dude who sells you the switch!

In my experience though, ignition switches and gauges and fuel tank senders are the same from cars to boats.

Good Luck,
    Kev

Fire Ball,

Whats ur Location. If ur not to far, I could possibly check it out.

I have swapped out a couple of switches in the past.

Did you get the same switch for that same model? Why would it have diffrent cables and colors.

Quote Originally Posted by TRDEXPERT View Post
    Fire Ball,

Whats ur Location. If ur not to far, I could possibly check it out.

I have swapped out a couple of switches in the past.

Did you get the same switch for that same model? Why would it have diffrent cables and colors.
    I live in Santa Clarita. The boat is from the 70's so I don't think we would be able to find the same ignition. I think we just picked up a generic ignition and the colors on the old wires are very faded so it is hard to tell what color they are, but I am pretty sure the colors don't match.

If its a Generic Ignition all you do is hook up the colors that match up your wiring harness, all other wires on the on the generic ignition are for other type of boats that have other features hooked up to the ignition switch, So it doesnt apply to yours.
    If you cant see the colors or if there to faded due to age, chase the wires into the wiring harness and youll be able to see the color, once you chase the wire peel the black tape or remove the plastic protecion, youll be able to see the original wire color.
    Hope it makes sense.
    This is all I could tell you withouth actually seeing it,

Take pictures of both ends..

Quote Originally Posted by TRDEXPERT View Post
    If its a Generic Ignition all you do is hook up the colors that match up your wiring harness, all other wires on the on the generic ignition are for other type of boats that have other features hooked up to the ignition switch, So it doesnt apply to yours.
    If you cant see the colors or if there to faded due to age, chase the wires into the wiring harness and youll be able to see the color, once you chase the wire peel the black tape or remove the plastic protecion, youll be able to see the original wire color.
    Hope it makes sense.
    This is all I could tell you withouth actually seeing it,

Take pictures of both ends..
    The is being stored somewhere right now, so it is not at my house. This means no pictures until I take the boat out. Probably not going to be able to take the boat out this weekend for a test due to a death in the family.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast