Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: new boat

Default new boat

* Edit post
    * Report this post

New boat

Postby plumbertom » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:44 pm
    I picked up my new Fish & Dive kayak yesterday.
    After bringing it home and doing a little outfitting on it yesterday I took it to lake Pyramid this morning.
    Nice day at the lake. I paddled from the bat launch to an area called Yellow Bar, a distance of about 2-1/2 miles one way. Then I paddled back. The trip back wasn't as mch fun because the wind was against me and if I stopped to rest I would end up going backwards.
    5 miles is a long way when your not used to it but the boat moves nicely through the water even if it's not very fast.
    It is quite stable in the water, I could actually sit with my feet hanging over one side without it trying to turn over. After that long paddle I anchored using the little collapsible anchor I got with it put out a baited line and laid down on the yak and took a brief nap.
    Probably gonna be sore tomorrow from all that unaccustomed work.
    The seat was pretty good and even though I had some problems with numbness in my left leg it cleared up after the nap.
    Didn't catch any fish though. There is an alga bloom going on in that lake and I think most of the fish were in deeper water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	15167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	15168  

That is a sweeeeet rig,PlumberTom !!!
    So I guess that Pyramid and Castaic Lagoon are good2go, any idea's on other bodies of water in your area ??

Sweet ride.

I'm jealous. Apex seat and seat bag, just what I'm thinking about (providing I can recover from this back injury) except in Lime.

Where did you get yours from?

LW
    Last edited by Liteweight; 09-17-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    Sweet ride.

I'm jealous. Apex seat and seat bag, just what I'm thinking about (providing I can recover from this back injury) except in Lime.

Where did you get yours from?

LW
    I made my deal with Taylors Tackle on Sherman Way in Canoga Park. http://www.taylortackle.com/
    I did a lot of shopping both on the Internet and at Kayak shops from Dana Point to Ventura.
    found my best price and took it to Mike Taylor and he not only met the best price I could find he upgraded some of the gear and added a kicker or two.
    Mike is an avid 'yaker and has a good knowledge of sit on top kayaks. He can help you to set your boat up so it best fits your needs.
    By the way, the seat he set me up with works just great and I am disabled due to a broken back.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCSTONE View Post
    That is a sweeeeet rig,PlumberTom !!!
    So I guess that Pyramid and Castaic Lagoon are good2go, any idea's on other bodies of water in your area ??
    I'll be trying out Piru if they allow yaks and Elizabeth lake also. Silverwood isn't out of range for me and Perris as well. I intend to hit the Colorado river in the Imperial Dam area before too long. And let's not forget the big pond just to the west.
    My next planned trip is going to be Mendota Nat. Wildlife refuge early Oct.
    Last edited by plumbertom; 09-18-2009 at 08:59 AM.