Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shore fishing at catalina??

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Vic, theres a bout a 50-75ft pier with a little float at the end. There are some sick kelps to cast at.
    i have snorkeld the kelps so many times and i have never seen yellows or wsb in them but it is a lot of kelp. last year we had a school of yellows right under the float, but they were only 5 lbs each lol.

50-70 ft long but how deep? I wouldnt yoyo an iron off the pier, but i guess you never know. I personally would CAST out a Sumo C2 or Tady 9 in blue/chrome or scrambled egg. Let it sink...and wind it in. What i like about this size iron is its small enough for a big calico or bonita to attack it and the weight lets you work it at different dephts. Ive also had luck with megabait jigs used from shore. Bonita and bass love em...

I would also try simbaits and dropshot gulp jerkshads....I would try the LC 110 from the surf...or the LC pointer off the pier...

So many different things to try...

Post a report...ive been wanting to shore fish at catalina for a long time.

vic its only about 30 to 40 ft deep at the end. ill go pic up a mega bait. there are some big bass around the area, and i have a couple of the smaller irons. thanks for the info. like i said i will post the report its always a blast going every year.

good luck brad

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63power View Post
    good luck brad
    thanks man ill be there from the 14 to the 19

Where are you going to be at? I just did all the same things your talking about (shore, pier, dock, kayak, and boat) except at two harbors the weekend of July 31st. Used lots of swimbaits for a lot of calicos. Irons produced nothing except calicos. Caught blue perch, whitefish, sheepshead, opaleyeMy buddy got spooled by something BIG at the dock on live bait he caught. I also tried some deep water fishing with the Lucanus Jig for some sandabs and sculpins. Also off the dock some guy caught an over legal sculpin! I could see the bottom where he caught it It was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by victor101 View Post
    yoyo iron from shore?....... I thought we were talking about shore fishing.
    Me too. Weird. Also throwing a yoyo from a pier? That would be wierd too since the water is only a few feet deep at the pier in Avalon.

fishon714

Quote Originally Posted by christainmetalhead909 View Post
    thanks for the info ya it is only for camper but my friends dad and friends did allt he electrical work there and the camp lets us come stay for 5 days and lets us do what ever we please its so sweet. ya there are all kinds of calicos under that float at the end. a few years ago early in the morning i hooked up with a yellow off the float with my bass pole and got stripped lol. so the deeper what with a iron i just drop it down and bring it up fast right? i have a bunch of them but i hardly ever use them.
    good old Brad...hooking up with High School girls....lmao....

have fun brother.....

GD

Quote Originally Posted by TShaffer View Post
    Where are you going to be at? I just did all the same things your talking about (shore, pier, dock, kayak, and boat) except at two harbors the weekend of July 31st. Used lots of swimbaits for a lot of calicos. Irons produced nothing except calicos. Caught blue perch, whitefish, sheepshead, opaleyeMy buddy got spooled by something BIG at the dock on live bait he caught. I also tried some deep water fishing with the Lucanus Jig for some sandabs and sculpins. Also off the dock some guy caught an over legal sculpin! I could see the bottom where he caught it It was pretty funny.
    two three coves up from avalon its called toyon bay.

Hey, If they let you use a kayak bring the smallest sabiki rig you can find and catch yourself a smelt, also have a 20# to 25# rig and flyline that thing out behind the kayak
    and paddle slowly between Toyon and Frog rock (no need to paddle fast) keep it in freespoll with the clicker on and get ready, when the clicker goes off turn it off with your thumb slightly on the spool, if line is still peeling off, count to 3, put it in gear and set the hook, I've caught more yellows in that area than I can count, It has been a little slow this year but their out there.

Good Luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast