Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Did some exploring...

Default An awesome day with dad!

My dad and I did some exploring and it paid off!

Gear used: Me- Phenix X-10 crankbait rod with a Cardiff 200 and 10lb Plince CXX
    Dad- Phenix 76M dropshot rod with an Abu Garcia spinning reel and 6lb Pline CXX

After suffering through a week of finals, I finally got to enjoy a day fishing with my dad. Today was a school holiday, so we both decided to try a new spot we had found on google earth in LA county. After a nice drive, we finally got to the spot and were met by incredible conditions. It was sunny and warm with crystal clear water, schools of bait darting around, and plenty of sandy patches in between kelp beds.

While my dad is still deciding where to cast his dropshot rig, I chuck my LC into a gap between some kelp strands and instantly get bit. I thought that it was a calico because it bit at the start of the retrieve and instantly made a run for the kelp. After that first run, it didn't pull any drag and came in without any struggling. Thinking I was about to get my first surf calico, I waded out to grab it, and saw a halibut with my LC instead. It taped out to 21.5in.

My dad looked at me and shook his head. It was on! We kept moved up and down the beach for another hour with no results. As my dad was drinking some water, I grabbed his rod and tied on a 3in Big Hammer 63 swimbait. He had already lost 2 drop shot rigs, so it was time for a change. While he finished his water, I waded out to kelp and started looking for calicos. It didn't take long before I saw a nice one that looked like it would be fun on 6lb. It was following the swimbait when another dark fish shot out of the kelp and grabbed the swimbait. It put up a really good fight, heading for the kelp stringers again and again so I was thinking I had finally gotten my calico. But no, it was a giant kelpfish. This greedy little thief was a first for me, so I wasn't too annoyed that he wasn't a calico.

Here's a picture showing the orange color on his belly.

After I caught the kelpfish, I gave my dad his own set up back. He was determined to catch a fish after seeing me get two, so he went to hit up a part of the beach that we hadn't tried yet. Meanwhile, I changed to a 4in Big Hammer swimbait and began working the kelp "alleys" in earnest. I got one bite that rocked me and that was it. Seeing that dad appeared to be snagged, I started to work my way over to see if I could help. When I got close, my dad looked at me, smiled, and grabbed his first legal halibut out of the waves!

It was 22.5in and a lot fatter than the short I had caught earlier.

We decided to keep it and called it a day. Normally we realese all of our fish, but my dad and I agreed that it wouldn't hurt the area if we kept it. Anybdoy have a good recipe?

Notes:
    I tried out my westuit jacket for the first time today and it was really good for wade fishing. I got one that has 2mm neoprene everywhere but the arms (1mm there), so it didn't hamper my casting at all and was a lot warmer than the t-shirt and sweatshirt I used to wear. No waders for me!

Wingnut, this is not your beach, but seeing your pictures made me get on google earth to try to find my own little spot. Thanks!
    Last edited by bsp; 02-02-2009 at 10:31 PM.

great report and pics. congrats on the success in the surf

Nicely done!

Look like you guys had a great time.keep it up!

Congrats to you and your dad!! It pays off sometimes to try out different locations.

No, not my beach but pretty close to it. I know exactly where you were... well done on doing your homework and locating a productive spot. Some wouldn't put in the extra effort but it does pay off. Congrats to you & your dad on the nice day in the surf and the fine catches, enjoy the fruit of your labor... yummy! The weekend can't come fast enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    No, not my beach but pretty close to it. I know exactly where you were... well done on doing your homework and locating a productive spot. Some wouldn't put in the extra effort but it does pay off. Congrats to you & your dad on the nice day in the surf and the fine catches, enjoy the fruit of your labor... yummy! The weekend can't come fast enough for me.
    You figured out where we were?!? Wow, you must really know this spot well if you can recognize it even with the cropped pictures. Maybe we'll run into you sometime!

To all: Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Anybdoy have a good recipe?

Here's my favorite recipe.... Heavenly Halibut

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    You figured out where we were?!? Wow, you must really know this spot well if you can recognize it even with the cropped pictures. Maybe we'll run into you sometime!

To all: Thanks for the comments!
    The pic of you and the Wrasse Fish gave it away.
    I've been there once in the last 30 days.
    Sometimes, I can even tell the general area by just looking at the sand composition with the pic of the fish laying on the sand. Dana & Sinjin taught me that.
    BTW - There ARE Calicos there.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 02-02-2009 at 11:10 PM.