Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Trip to the Surf in the New Year! Saturday 1/3/09

Nice job WN. How far do you wade out? You seem to be way out there all the time. I get out to my waist and get drenched all the time. Whats your secret to staying relatively dry???

Ive yet to get a perch on the LC and that is on my list of things to do this year. I guess im gonna have to make the long drive up north again and give it a try. Your new gear is so sick. Thanks for the report and pics.

Default Wingnut's response.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
    nice looking gear!! nice crab out of the surf!!

cm
    I would trade that Crab for just about anything that swims.

Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    Nice lookin' Plutons. They're not even on Daiwa's website yet.
    Apparently, Santa Claus knows somebody, that knows somebody that works for Daiwa. My pre-ordered one from BPS hasn't even been shipped yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    I think Wingnut has finally leaked his secret to surf success.... those reels aren't normal, those are .38 calibers! You reel the fish in close enough and then pull the trigger. That's how he landed all those big halis But seriously those things look MEAN (in a good way).

Great report man, few fisherman are braving the cold surf these days
    Locked & loaded Gavin.
    The cold surf is no big deal, all you need is a good pair of waders.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    That is a nice 3 hour haul Arthur, I would call that a great start to the new year. Another top notch report report from the Surf Master, thanks for posting up all your latest adventures....finally had a chance to read through all the latest chapters!

See you in a couple weeks,

TD
    Yeah, it was nice to start the New year off on a good note. Hopefully, 2009 will prove to be another great year of fishing for all of us.
    See you on the 17th!

Quote Originally Posted by fisherbabe View Post
    Nice haul and definitely a gorgeous day on the water...
    It was definitely a beautiful day... made even better by doing what I love to do, being in the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    way ta roll there...nail them fishies....nail 'em good...

give 'em the 'ol...."feel the steel !" ohhhh yeah ! just a lil pain....ha ha....!

congrats on a job well done..
    Gary
    Ha ha, Yep, I gave a few of those fish some nice mouth piercings that's for sure. Hope you kicked that flu bug and get back out there again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kpn View Post
    Great trip for the new year there buddy . Did you try the new surf lures?

KPN.
    I put your lures in my tackle bag and took it to Pyramid Friday and forgot to put them in my surf pack for Saturday. I'll give them a try the next outing Khanh. They look sweet... let's see hoe they dance in the surf. Thanks again for the gifts!

Quote Originally Posted by matt duarte View Post
    nice job on the fishes even if they were a little small for the gear..those reels are sick! im so freakin jelious....want to adopt a 23 year old son? haha i fish to!

good job out there sir! that crab looked crazy defently a suprise catch haha
    Yeah, the gear was a bit overkill for what I was pulling in that day. But, rest assured, the day will come that the new set-ups will be tested with some higher caliber fish! Happy New Year Matt, hope you kick some major Bass butt this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteliner View Post
    Nice job WN. How far do you wade out? You seem to be way out there all the time. I get out to my waist and get drenched all the time. Whats your secret to staying relatively dry???

Ive yet to get a perch on the LC and that is on my list of things to do this year. I guess im gonna have to make the long drive up north again and give it a try. Your new gear is so sick. Thanks for the report and pics.
    The distance that I wade out depends on the beach and the conditions. Sheltered areas you can venture out quite a bit further than open beaches. Tide conditions plays a big part too. You have to be much more careful during an incoming high tide than an outgoing one. I used to jump the waves as much as I can, but I learned that you really don't need to do that. I've seen, caught and spooked many Halibut in knee deep water. If they're there, you'll find them closer to the sand than you think. As for staying dry, it's an illusion... I usually bring two or three pairs of waders and several change of clothes. No lie, those who have fished with me can attest to this. Hard to really enjoy yourself and perform when you're not comfortable in the surf. If I'm wet, I change at each stop.

The Perch will readily hit the LC's during the next few months. They get quite aggressive during their spawning season from January thru April or so. You don't have to travel far North to do it. I've caught BSP's on the LC just about every beach that I've been to, North or South. Slow & steady retrieve, that all it takes.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 01-06-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Default kill the flatties

TO ANOTHER GREAT YEAR IN SURF FOR YOU ART,,,,,t/o

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    TO ANOTHER GREAT YEAR IN SURF FOR YOU ART,,,,,t/o
    For sure Bob, for both of us my friend.

Thanks for the info WN. I will put it to good use.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345