Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea lion cure

Default Sea lion cure

We fished all over the local waters off Long Beach Saturday. Like always lately, sea lions were driving us nuts. Now, I have a weird job and work with biologists at the National Parks on how to discourage bears from eating human food. We call it adverse conditioning and we give them an unpleasant experience while they're causing trouble. We've used cracker shot shells, pepper spray and lots of other methods but one of the most effective and simplest cures is the good old fashion wrist rocket. That's right, a sling shot. A rock in the butt of a bear works every time and it works beautifully on pesky sea lions too. From the flybridge with a pocket full of gravel I had them on the run. You don't want to hurt them so use a small rock...it works great and they hate it!

By the way, the fishing greatly improved when the sardine's body actually stayed attached to their heads. Go figure.

see this link that shows you can slingshot em as well as other means, paintball being one of my favorites.

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.cfm

I sure hope some government law enforcement officer doesn't read this...

Quote Originally Posted by soskunked View Post
    We fished all over the local waters off Long Beach Saturday. Like always lately, sea lions were driving us nuts. Now, I have a weird job and work with biologists at the National Parks on how to discourage bears from eating human food. We call it adverse conditioning and we give them an unpleasant experience while they're causing trouble. We've used cracker shot shells, pepper spray and lots of other methods but one of the most effective and simplest cures is the good old fashion wrist rocket. That's right, a sling shot. A rock in the butt of a bear works every time and it works beautifully on pesky sea lions too. From the flybridge with a pocket full of gravel I had them on the run. You don't want to hurt them so use a small rock...it works great and they hate it!

By the way, the fishing greatly improved when the sardine's body actually stayed attached to their heads. Go figure.

I am 99.9 % sure you can go to jail and be fined if you get caught doing that to a Sea Lion. They are protected. Same with the brown Pelican

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    I am 99.9 % sure you can go to jail and be fined if you get caught doing that to a Sea Lion. They are protected. Same with the brown Pelican
    I think it's even worse with the Brown Pelican...aren't they technically "threatened"? For messing with a Brown Pelican.... you get castrated with a pair of rusty old hedge clippers; your finger nails torn off- one at a time; your eye lids sewn open with your head pointed straight at the summer sun; made to drink hot, dirty motor oil; and then you get about 6 months in federal prison.

Just kidding! But...I would steer clear of harming them anyway, it's not worth the risk of getting caught, no matter what the penalty is! LOL!!!!

Something needs to be done about those seals....they have been, and will continue to, threaten peoples livelihoods.....its ridiculous, the treehuggers dont care about that tho....

GD

I can imagine people going on half day trips just to shoot the furbags all day long.

I need to find a source for habanero pepper balls. Anyone know where I can get them cheap?

My wrist rocket is gonna need some new surgical rubber tubing too.

Default seal cure

i "heard" that if you freeze the paintballs the night before you use them that they are particularly potent, legal and provide alot of sting. Also says you can use rubber bullets, sabot rounds, with the restritions being non-lethal and you must be actively fishing when you use them. I would print a copy of the regs and take them with you b/c there are plenty of law enforcement that would challenge your right to do this but i have checked it out and its legal.

shooting paint into the ocean doesn't sound like the best idea to me...

i paintball often, and freezing doesnt work well. there not gona stay frozen long enough from the freezer untill u use them, and then they get soggy n brittle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast