Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Eastern Sierra Opener Report and Photos

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Eastern Sierra Opener Report and Photos

Went up to the Eastern Sierra opener this year. Camped at French Camp near Rock Creek. Weather forecast was a foreboding, but we packed plenty of clothes and stayed warm despite the drop into the 20s at night (thick sleeping bags, small tend).

Did a lot more exploring and hiking than actually fishing. We had initially planned to fish in the Little Lakes Valley, but the fresh snow and closed road put an end to that. Really neat seeing folks ice fishing at Rock Creek Lake, looked like something out of the midwest. The lake was mostly frozen over.

We also explored Hot Creek. Beautiful creek, surrounded by mouth-dropping scenery. The White Mountains to the NE looked tempting, I'm sure they have some fishing opportunities too :)

Most of our time at Hot Creek consisted of trying out a new fly rod. The portion of water below the private ranch seemed far too shallow for any trout, with very few holes or fishy spots. Several other fly fishermen were trying it out too without luck. We also hiked a ways below the hot springs, but the water seemed too warm to support any trout. I wonder if there are any fish much farther, maybe a few miles below the hot springs? Maybe near where it hits the Owens?

Convict Lake was stunning. And packed, shoulder to shoulder in many parts. Only saw a few fish landed. If we had had more time, might have hiked further to the backcountry lakes behind it. Some poor group of guys had their motor give out on the water, hope they got it started again soon.

A bear came through the French Camp on Saturday night. I read on another fishing forum that someone left several coolers out, and the bear came back two nights in a row. The individual was spoken to about putting his coolers away but kept neglecting to do so. C'mon!

I ended up with a few browns and rainbows from the creeks, including right near our campground. Some of those spots feel like they have more pressure than a few of my favorite local locations. The largest brown I got was around 14" or so, great fight on light line with challenging conditions. All fish were CPRed.

Can't wait to go back!
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 06-28-2016 at 07:14 AM.