Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Breaking News: Silverwood Lake Polluted

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ok I must've been in a rush to head out for dinner...

I mistakenly posted above (now corrected) that the mean mercury concentration for the striped bass was relatively high compared to the other species sampled in Silverwood... when in fact, the striped bass had the HIGHEST mean mercury concentration at 1002 ppb. Look at Table 2, page 5 for yourself.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/special...erwoodLake.pdf

and yes this seems like the strictest recommendation they've come out with so far... what lake is next???

I haven't gone to Silverwood lake since I was maybe 10y/o when I went camping with my parents... just a bit too far for me to go striper fishing there anyways...

Also, reading a little more of Statewide report... it seems likely that striped bass was not part of the statewide recommendations since "OEHHA established the following criteria to determine which species had adequate sample data to include in the statewide advisory dataset"

--samples collected within the area where CDFW reported fishing sites of the species
    --samples collected within the biogeographic range of the species
    --for species with a statewide range:
    a) samples from the geographic jurisdictions of more than 5 regional water boards
    b) data from more than 100 samples or 50 lakes

so I don't think they could gather enough striper samples from such a broad area with more than 100 samples or 50 lakes (I don't think stripers are even found in 50 lakes)...

by the way, here's the recommendation for pyramid lake: no mention of striped bass, but they do not recommend women 18-45 and children 1-17 to eat "bass". http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/...dlake2013.html

same goes for Magic Johnson Lakes
    Last edited by dkinla; 08-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.